Aperature/Shutter Speed

Just to add another metaphor... it's like a driving a car with a manual transmission. If you want to drive 30 mph, you can do it in first gear at 100% throttle, in second gear at 50% throttle, or in third gear at 20% throttle.

They will each move the car at 30mph, but have different side effects. In first you're having to deal with a noisy engine (not to mention fuel consumption), the second is perfect, the third is nice and quiet, but the car is not particularly responsive...

Obviously the metaphor doesn't translate well, esp. since there are only two variables, not three (speed, aperture, ISO) but I think you can tell that each scenario could get you roughly the same result... but in the real world there's usually one that makes the most sense. The more you drive, the more intuitive this becomes. Same with photography.

Ok. Thanks! I'll try to figure it out. I work in AP for the most part, too, but I want to be able to compose a shot in Manual, or at least understand how...

Ok. Thanks! I'll try to figure it out. I work in AP for the most part, too, but I want to be able to compose a shot in Manual, or at least understand how...

here is what my friend does....work in auto mode....remember the settings...and then apply the numbers in Manual.....haha

i think it takes quite a bit of experience or tools to use manual effectively.......is not something that you can adequate right away without the help of a light meter....most ppl use manual use a light meter to determine exposure setting....if that is what you like to do

With modern cameras (with light meters)...there really is no trick to using manual mode. If you take a reading (half press the button) and then adjust the settings until the 'needle' in centred on the meter...that is pretty much what any of the auto modes will give you.

The difference is that when in manual mode...the camera won't change the settings...every time the scene changes. So if you know what settings you want to use, even if the scene/light changes...then manual is the way to go.

This is especially important when using studio flash...because the camera's meter can not meter for the light that is flashed...so you have to meter the flash separately and set the camera accordingly.

Ok, I looked at the manual for the camera (Canon EOS 650) and I can't seem to see if it has a section for the light meter. The closest thing I see is the Exposure compensation. Which tells me when something is overexposed or under.. Is this it?

Most reactions

Back