APS sensor and lenses

LiveWave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings

I was wondering about crop factor in particular to nikon cameras

if i attach a DX lens onto a DX body (crop factor of 1.5) and shoot say 55mm

is 55mm on a DX lens attached to a DX body equivalent to a 55mm full frame lens attached to a full frame body?

I don't know terms from nikon, because i'm a canon user, but if you have a 55 mm lens on a camera with 1.5 crop factor the is equivalent to a 82mm (1.5 * 55) lens on a full frame body.

is 55mm on a DX lens attached to a DX body equivalent to a 55mm full frame lens attached to a full frame body?
The field of view will be different...so if that is your criteria, then no, they are not equivelent.

55mm is 55mm...that is a constant. It doesn't matter if it's a DX or "full frame" lens.
When you use am APS Sensor camera...it will have a different FOV than a full frame (or film) camera...for a any given focal length.

So while some lenses are 'digital only'...that does not change the focal length...55mm is 55mm. It's the camera (& sensor size) that is changing the FOV.

No. I assume you are talking about the field of view of the photos. The DX lenses only the image circle size changes. A 50mm FX lens looks the same as a 50mm DX lens on a DX camera. On an FX camera it would look much wider, and the DX lens would vignett and you'd literally see your picture in a circle in the middle of the frame.

if i attach a DX lens onto a DX body (crop factor of 1.5) and shoot say 55mm
Sorry Mike and Garbz .. and to livewave if I made for some confusion. I was focusing on this comment of the OP. The crop factor has already been determined and doen't need to be adjusted for the sensor size.

For example, this link, describes the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 lens as:

the new 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 lens offers a 5.3x zoom range, and a perspective equivalent to that created by a 24-127.5mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

Most reactions

Back