Are boxes that good.

IByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently sold my D5000 $575. And one of my potential buyers insisted that he has the boxes to the lenses and camera or he wanted $100.00 flat out. Of course I said no, so it seems he was a pawn owner and the shutter count 11,060. Ugh can't believe he was such an bleeep bleep. Just thought I'd ask and vent a bit.

I don't save any of my boxes...

I guess if I wanted to rip somebody off and say the lens was New in Box - the box would come in handy, but other than that, it's just protection for shipping and eye candy for the store shelf...

I guess if I wanted to rip somebody off and say the lens was New in Box - the box would come in handy, but other than that, it's just protection for shipping and eye candy for the store shelf...
You should. Look around on E-Bay some time. I've seen old Nikon boxes, empty boxes, selling for $100.

You should. Look around on E-Bay some time. I've seen old Nikon boxes, empty boxes, selling for $100.
LOL.

Who the hell would pay $100 for an empty box?

I can see that same box being up for sale again for a lot more. :lol: Buyer opens a nice, pretty box - empty.

Years ago, I sold all my 35mm film gear on ebay. Sold it all for ~$2800. I'm sure that would have been more like $2500 if I didn't have the original boxes & papers.

LOL.

Who the hell would pay $100 for an empty box?

I can see that same box being up for sale again for a lot more. :lol: Buyer opens a nice, pretty box - empty.
No sir!! They were plainly stated as being EMPTY boxes. It was a couple of years ago and I thought at first it was a fluke and looked some more. There were many of them ranging from $20 in poor condition to $100 in like new condition. I couldn't tell you who would pay that for them, certainly not me.

Edit ... I don't know if it's legal on this forum to post E-Bay links, some forums I frequent are funny about it. Go to ebay.com and search for "nikon empty box" and watch what happens. There's one there right now for a D300s with a $40 bid.

SCraig said:

Not even cigar boxes don't fetch that price. Well now that I have my d7000 body(yay!!) I'll keep the box. BTW be on the look out for a PayPal scammer. I never knew for someone to pay an extra $100.00 for shipping an insurance, but not meet in person to switch information for ADH warranty.

I save all my boxes and I will pay more if I buy used with boxes, a little bit more. I find that people who keep boxes like me are really meticulous about keeping their gear clean ;)

I have all my boxes, the plastic and paperwork that came with each peice of gear. I've sold a D3000, D5000 and D90 and shipped it in all the original packaging. For me, I feel a little bit better knowing I'm sending as complete a package as possible.

Trever1t said:
I save all my boxes and I will pay more if I buy used with boxes, a little bit more. I find that people who keep boxes like me are really meticulous about keeping their gear clean ;)

Being a starter I threw them away. But I bought an included the bag. I went as so far as to keep the lenses in their velvet bag. I think he went bit far not even trying to see them.

I too save the original boxes, paperwork, manuals, cables, straps, body/lens caps, little covers for the viewfinder/hotshoe.

It not only helps the resale value, the gear is less likely to get damaged from shipping if it's all in the original packaging.

Buying and selling photo gear is a lot like buying and selling guns. Jez saying.

Most reactions

Back