Are film SLRs worth buying?

So is cost really the only concern here?
Well, for me anyway - no.

For a given amount of money, you can buy a higher quality film body than digital.

The 1N RS I shoot with cost me about the same as what 350D's are selling for now. (I also have a 350D...)

The SINGLE advantage the 350D has is that it's cheaper to shoot.

In every other way, the 1N RS is better.

Better AF, better ergonomics, more and easier to access controls, better viewfinder, higher FPS (10 FPS!), faster sync speed (1/250), faster max shutter speed (1/8000), etc...

So, I chose film for better gear per dollar, not necessarily for the film (though I do like shooting film).

The next camera I buy will probably be a used 1D MkII... I just can't go back to a Rebel after getting used to the 1N RS, lol. I don't typically print larger than 8x10, so 8MP is fine with me.

The cheapest used DSLR I could find that is locally available is at least 5 times more expensive than the cheapest used film SLR.

Of course my research is not yet complete but it feels hard to find a decent DSLR camera at the price range I've narrowed down.

Why aren't you posting your current results then?

Obviously you need babysat through this...but you can't post a decent price analysis in your area for us?

In USD preferably.

If you just want to get a cheap film camera to learn:

Cheap Film Camera

For ****s sake, for someone that likes to go on about their marketing degree, you sure don't know how to read, something you'd think would be important for anyone who's gone through higher education.

The OP has said time and time again that he wants an SLR camera. He's decided on a film SLR, rather than a digital SLR for reasons already posted.

Quit being such an arse and learn to read, and if you disagree with his opinion, tell him so and then shut up about it.

The Canon is a good camera. Somebody said something about vibration reduction/image stabilization lenses a while back, a Nikon F100 (or an F5 for that matter) is perfectly fine with a VR lens. ;)

I think that you've learned about as much as you can from a forum about your needs and it's time to ask around at your local photo shops and pro photographers (both types tend to enjoy talking about their passion) about what makes sense in your area. In a country of over 600 million I find it hard to believe that you would have any trouble finding film or getting it developed and this includes 120 film.

I bring up the 120 film again because having viewed your flicker accnt. I think that your current camera is filling the everyday need that a 35mm is designed for and that you are ready to step up your photography. A larger format will help you to concentrate on the more subtle aspects and give you better results when you've gotten those down.

Your choice of course, good luck with it.

The cheapest used DSLR I could find that is locally available is at least 5 times more expensive than the cheapest used film SLR.

Of course my research is not yet complete but it feels hard to find a decent DSLR camera at the price range I've narrowed down.

Why aren't you posting your current results then?

Obviously you need babysat through this...but you can't post a decent price analysis in your area for us?

In USD preferably.

I never needed babysitting and I did a lot of research on my own to come up with pricing situation. And I've converted every figure I've quoted in USD for your convenience. I've already done a lot to make my point and I don't feel like going through all those websites again to get the prices.

You somehow doubt my figures? Why should I lie about it? I have nothing to prove here.

The Canon is a good camera. Somebody said something about vibration reduction/image stabilization lenses a while back, a Nikon F100 (or an F5 for that matter) is perfectly fine with a VR lens. ;)

I think that you've learned about as much as you can from a forum about your needs and it's time to ask around at your local photo shops and pro photographers (both types tend to enjoy talking about their passion) about what makes sense in your area. In a country of over 600 million I find it hard to believe that you would have any trouble finding film or getting it developed and this includes 120 film.

I bring up the 120 film again because having viewed your flicker accnt. I think that your current camera is filling the everyday need that a 35mm is designed for and that you are ready to step up your photography. A larger format will help you to concentrate on the more subtle aspects and give you better results when you've gotten those down.

Your choice of course, good luck with it.
Thanks for your thoughts on my Flickr stream.

I've somehow doubts about the availability of large or medium format film but I will check it out locally.

Most photography stores don't stock anything other than 35mm film and there's only one brand: Kodak.

If you just want to get a cheap film camera to learn:

Cheap Film Camera

For ****s sake, for someone that likes to go on about their marketing degree, you sure don't know how to read, something you'd think would be important for anyone who's gone through higher education.

The OP has said time and time again that he wants an SLR camera. He's decided on a film SLR, rather than a digital SLR for reasons already posted.

Quit being such an arse and learn to read, and if you disagree with his opinion, tell him so and then shut up about it.

Lol. I mention my degree once in my life anywhere and that means I like to go on about it? Riiiight.

Furthermore, may last post is clearly in jest of a dead topic. Take a laxative. Good lord. Cyborgs have no sense of humor. You might try upgrading to windows 7 or are you a mac?

In USD preferably.

I add a variable: average salary is very different. Passing from 67$ to 200$ in US or EU is one thing, in India I suspect is a major step. Electronics cost about the same everywhere.

I never needed babysitting and I did a lot of research on my own to come up with pricing situation. And I've converted every figure I've quoted in USD for your convenience. I've already done a lot to make my point and I don't feel like going through all those websites again to get the prices.

You somehow doubt my figures? Why should I lie about it? I have nothing to prove here.

I don't think asking for the results of your research is anywhere the same as accusing one of lying. It's just curiosity after following this thread. And I think, one, easy to read post with all your research priced out, shouldn't be that hard to do. Unless you had an ulterior motive to begin with, and never did good research, this info should be at your fingertips.

If you cannot quickly access your own research and post the results...how good is your research anyway? You shouldn't have to go back through all those websites, you should have that information saved and bookmarked on your computer.

If you want a badly worded OP, and fairly misleading thread name to be followed up by extremely vague results...then by all means. Seems only fitting after all the digital vs. film flaming anyway lol. You can be lord of badly worded, uninformative threads.

I think it is still worth it at least in my situation. I like to take pictures of horses, reined cowhorse shows, cutting shows, wildlife....The lower end digitals make me very angry when I push the button I want the picture taken! I am not going to buy the digital until I can buy the Canon eos 7d. I am having Arlington camera process my film at $2.99 a roll, process and scan negatives. I have a Canon elan 7e right now, but am keeping an eye out for a great deal on a EOS 1V

I don't think asking for the results of your research is anywhere the same as accusing one of lying. It's just curiosity after following this thread. And I think, one, easy to read post with all your research priced out, shouldn't be that hard to do. Unless you had an ulterior motive to begin with, and never did good research, this info should be at your fingertips.

If you cannot quickly access your own research and post the results...how good is your research anyway? You shouldn't have to go back through all those websites, you should have that information saved and bookmarked on your computer.

If you want a badly worded OP, and fairly misleading thread name to be followed up by extremely vague results...then by all means. Seems only fitting after all the digital vs. film flaming anyway lol. You can be lord of badly worded, uninformative threads.

The reason is I don't bookmark the information I find on the web and I often don't save the pages. Yes, call me lazy. I don't care.

And I cannot easily get the research information done in the REAL WORLD (remember such a thing exists?) into the computer without a lot of typing. The research info is easily accessible to me. That doesn't mean it is accessible easily to you. So stuff that.

I just cannot and won't be bullied into posting that information for your benefit or amusement or to prove that I really did research. And that I'm not going to do, whatever you might call me.

Also some of the items I researched on are no longer on ebay (having either been sold or removed from auction)

My results are vague only to you. I have no duty or obligation to share my hard work with you people just because of your silly accusations.

I just bought an Elan II (film camera) because I don't want the cost of repair / replace a digital body next time I slip and camera body gets submerged. That happened to me in September with a borrowed Rebel XT. Fortunately that model is old enough I was able to purchase a replacement without going too broke, but film bodies are even cheaper.

My strategy is to use consumer digital for most shots and use the SLR when I want more control. I'm shooting transparency film at the moment, with digital as the target, but I'll have to do some tests.

My plan is to scan them myself using a consumer film scanner (haven't picked yet, thinking $200 range) and any that are absolutely outstanding (probably less than 1 every 3 or 4 rolls) I will pay for highest quality scanning I can find (but probably not until I have 10 or more to do).

Assuming you don't drop your camera into creeks, digital is cheaper than film in the long run, but shooting film *may* help you learn to pay more attention to composure and lighting before you snap the shutter.

Digital are ok, but in film cameras you will feel what real photography means :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back