Are multicoated filters worth it?

Riggaberto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have the Canon 17-40L coming as you may or may not know from my other threads, and I'm looking for a circular polarizer. So.....

Hoya multicoated polarizers. They cost waaaaaaaaay more than the standard circular polarizer. I sprung for the multicoated UV filter, but the polarizers are so much more expensive, I'm wondering, are they really worth it?

From what I understand they're supposed to prevent ghosting and flare, which would be totally worth it considering it's a wide angle lens and prone to it, if it actually worked.

So does it work?

On a side note, can one still get to the polarizer while the lens hood is on the 17-40?

multicoated filters are absolutly worth the extra cost. If you put an uncoated filter over yoru coated lens, all your lens coatings made to prevent flare are out the window, with a coated filter, at least you get a little less flare if and when you get it.

The only reason you should use a Tiffen is if you're going out to Iraq and need to be able to clean your filter under a sink in 5 seconds.

multicoated filters are absolutly worth the extra cost. If you put an uncoated filter over yoru coated lens, all your lens coatings made to prevent flare are out the window, with a coated filter, at least you get a little less flare if and when you get it.

The only reason you should use a Tiffen is if you're going out to Iraq and need to be able to clean your filter under a sink in 5 seconds.

Yarr, good thing I've been working a lot this summer...thanks for responding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back