Are You Color Blind????

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A lot of the discussions on here deal with elusive white balance and color. I've wondered sometimes if I'm color blind LOL So, today, I heard about this technology to alleviate color blindness. Went to this site, and lo and behold they had a test for color blindness. Fortunately for me I passed. Here's the link for anyone who wants to take the challenge - EnChroma | Color For The Color Blind

Lol, back in the 1990s I used to work as a printer in a few photo labs. I remember at one point the manager at one lab got us all to do a colour blindness test and a couple of guys failed. But they were still really good printers regardless!

Last edited:
Confirming what I already knew:
Deutans are people with deuteranomaly, a type of red-green color blindness in which the green cone doesn’t detect enough green but is too sensitive to yellows, oranges, and reds.
As a result, greens, yellows, oranges, reds, and browns may appear similar, especially in low light. It can also be difficult to tell the difference between blues and purples, or pinks and grays.

Confirming what I already knew:
Deutans are people with deuteranomaly, a type of red-green color blindness in which the green cone doesn’t detect enough green but is too sensitive to yellows, oranges, and reds.
As a result, greens, yellows, oranges, reds, and browns may appear similar, especially in low light. It can also be difficult to tell the difference between blues and purples, or pinks and grays.

Yep, but the punctuation need a little clarification. ;) Some greens look yellow to us, orange can be a problem, we definitely can't tell between certain shades of brown and red, and some purples do look blue. You may think it a problem in colour photography, but it's not nearly as much of a problem as those who think their vision is absolute and that what they see is what it is.

You see I've spent my whole adult life knowing for certain that my vision is not absolute, that I don't see colour the way most do. I've therefore spent a lifetime of looking twice as long and twice as hard at everything looking for the small differences that allow me to see and understand colour a little better. I've also made a particular study of how we see and perceive.

Now here's the rub, though if you have good colour vision your will all see colour the same, the moment you turn your back on it your perception or memory of what you all saw will vary considerably. The second rub is that what you think you see is not always what's in front of you. The eye is not a great optical instrument, your field of sharp and colour vision is actually quite limited. Your peripheral vision is blurred and actually B&W, (I can give you exercises to demonstrate this). What you think is absolute vision is really a focus stacked, merged pano that's constructed in the brain. But, and a big but, the actual resolution of the eye is much higher than any camera. So your brain actually processes a hell of a lot of information to give you accurate vision. The problem comes if you don't give it the time, if you just glance. If you just glance at things your brain does not have time to process the whole scene and you really will be surprised by just how much of what you though you saw is actually filled in by your memory alone, and just how much you miss.

Now being colour blind you develop strategies and ways of checking your work is accurate and how you want it to appear to those who see colour more accurately, including having a friend who's colour perception and memory is better than most people's. But I do find myself looking at images that have heavy colour casts and are being praised for gorgeous colour (red sand, sky and grass?), I see photographers who don't seem to see a difference between saturated colour and bright colour. I also see a lot of images where the photographer does not understand the relative nature of vision and how the eye adjusts both colour and brightness. Again I can show you examples of what you think are optical illusions but are actually quite easy to create when you understand the relative nature of vision. By reverse it's also easy to present an image that the eye does not correct or alter. I keep saying (to myself) that I'm not the one who should be pointing it out, and that it should be blindingly obvious to anybody.

So is deuteranomaly a handicap? Not really, at least it taught me to look and see. I am actually thinking that those who believe that vision is absolute have a bigger handicap. ;);););)

Dad was, I'm not; tested several times.
I see fuzzy as all get out when I don't have my glasses on, but my colors is good.

I would be interested in a pair. If I had more money.

I remember looking at a gummy candy that looked green in person, but when I looked through the video camera of my cell it looked red. It was actually red. Cellphone helped.

I'm a deutan

I see fuzzy as all get out when I don't have my glasses

That's me. Unfortunately my eyesight is continuing to get worse. On trifocals now, which for the most part work, but I have a lot of difficulty seeing in shadows, when standing in a lighted area. Last eye appointment showed cataracts starting so will be headed for surgery in a year or so.

I remember looking at a gummy candy that looked green in person, but when I looked through the video camera of my cell it looked red. It was actually red. Cellphone helped.[/QUOTE]

That's strange!!! How can you see the image color on screen and not in real life?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back