Are you kidding me!?

Already done. Had a nice 1 hour talk with the man before I took the camera with me on vacation.

- Theft
- Fire
- Accidents

Deductable is $1000, none of which I pay if any of the above happens to my camera EXCEPT accidents that occur where I am the responsable one.

Example:
- I drop the camera, I pay.
- Someone bumps into me, I drop the camera, I do NOT pay.

I'm a firm believer in knowing the rules. I'll play any game as long as I know the rules.

For a $90 lens, its cheaper to buy a new one than to return it and pay for repairs. Figure shipping is at least $10 upon the 2-3 weeks of waiting and repair cost. Suck it up, buy a new lens, and take it as a hard learned lesson....DON'T drop your lens!!! For ultimate durability, buy L glass instead. :)

take it as a hard learned lesson....DON'T drop your lens!!!

LOL...another great pearl of wisdom! If only they would have come here BEFORE they dropped the lens, maybe people would have told (him or her) not to drop the lens, thus preventing the whole incident!

You payed $80 for a lens and dropped it. It broke....... I am so surprised.

For the record, we aren't kidding you, it IS broken and your shock to this situation is quite odd. What did you expect? For it to bounce? Just buy another and superglue it to your hand.

it still doesn't match the vintage lenses I'm holding in my hands right now. My statement still stands, these old metal and glass things are of a much higher build quality. Seriously, you're only going to disagree with me until you get to hold one yourself. Go find one, turn its focus ring, then come back and let me know if your opinion changes!

I used to own a few manual focus Nikkors, I know exactly what you mean, I loved using my 50mm AIS on my FE, and I know exactly what you mean about the focusing and build quality.

However, lenses like the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8, make the build quality argument a moot point. Metal and glass, that's all the 17-55 is, the only plastic part on it is the hood.

For the record, we aren't kidding you, it IS broken and your shock to this situation is quite odd. What did you expect? For it to bounce? Just buy another and superglue it to your hand.

Cheap lens? Yeah. I am a 22 yr old college student, I couldn't afford anything better at the time. I'm not really sure why my post was odd? I wasn't shocked that I dropped it and it broke, I was pissed. Although I was sitting on the couch and it fell on the carpet...just irritating. And honestly $80 is $80....I'm not going to say ah oh well, but will take it as a lesson learned. I really appreciate all the comments to NOT drop my lenses. I wish you would've filled me in a little sooner though.
-April

For a $90 lens, its cheaper to buy a new one than to return it and pay for repairs. Figure shipping is at least $10 upon the 2-3 weeks of waiting and repair cost. Suck it up, buy a new lens, and take it as a hard learned lesson....DON'T drop your lens!!! For ultimate durability, buy L glass instead. :)

Yeah I agree...I really loved the 50mm but I am going to buy the 1.4 this time. At least now I'm really excited to get a new lens....that I'll be Very careful with !:wink:

Cheap lens? Yeah. I am a 22 yr old college student, I couldn't afford anything better at the time. I'm not really sure why my post was odd? I wasn't shocked that I dropped it and it broke, I was pissed. Although I was sitting on the couch and it fell on the carpet...just irritating. And honestly $80 is $80....I'm not going to say ah oh well, but will take it as a lesson learned. I really appreciate all the comments to NOT drop my lenses. I wish you would've filled me in a little sooner though.
-April

Don't take the comments too seriously. There are some posters here that have money to burn and have no appreciation for the real world for most of us.

Don't take the comments too seriously. There are some posters here that have money to burn and have no appreciation for the real world for most of us.

Socrates, thanks. I def. don't have money to burn, and sometimes wish I had a cheaper passion :D I do spend a lot of time making wish lists though LOL.

Just to be sure, you are talking about a lens element (curved) and not a protective filter (flat)?

Are there any signs of damage on the lens? Any chips out of the retaining ring or glass? Any stiffness in the focusing mechanism? Do you know any engineering students or other people who might be brave enough to remove the retaining ring, replace the element and try it (perhaps both ways) to see how well it works? Can you post a picture of it?

Good luck,
Helen

PS Re the comments about there being no modern lenses with 'old-fashioned' build quality: how about current lenses from Zeiss, Leica, Schneider, Rodenstock and Cooke? The quality is there, but you have to pay for it.

Just to be sure, you are talking about a lens element (curved) and not a protective filter (flat)?

Are there any signs of damage on the lens? Any chips out of the retaining ring or glass? Any stiffness in the focusing mechanism? Do you know any engineering students or other people who might be brave enough to remove the retaining ring, replace the element and try it (perhaps both ways) to see how well it works? Can you post a picture of it?

Good luck,
Helen

PS Re the comments about there being no modern lenses with 'old-fashioned' build quality: how about current lenses from Zeiss, Leica, Schneider, Rodenstock and Cooke? The quality is there, but you have to pay for it.

Nothing is broke or chipped or anything. It's just in 2 pieces. :er: I can take a picture of it and post in a little bit.

I've just noticed that you live in New York - whereabouts in New York? Show us that picture. If nothing really is damaged or broken, all might not be lost.

Best,
Helen

I've just noticed that you live in New York - whereabouts in New York? Show us that picture. If nothing really is damaged or broken, all might not be lost.

Best,
Helen

Rochester.

Nothing is broke or chipped or anything. It's just in 2 pieces. :er: I can take a picture of it and post in a little bit.

Helen's probably your best source for information. That being said, my belief is that, with nothing "broke or chipped or anything," you just might luck out with a warranty repair. I'm thinking that there is no indication of any abuse and, in fact, as I remember your previous description of what actually took place, I personally don't think that you did abuse it.

Helen --- What's your thinking about warranty repair under these circumstances?

She seemed a little dismayed that she got her lens out for a second and dropped it. I didn't notice any great shock on her part that things break when dropped. But, I'm sure she appreciates your help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back