Article about retouching in the New Yorker

People actually read the New Yorker?

Seriously, though, good article. Photos and post-processing are like women and makeup. You need some to look your best, but too much and it loses its effect. Sometime you can pull off the obviously touched up photo/face, but for the most part it works the best when you can't tell its been applied.

Every issue for the last twenty+ years.

For the record, it was meant as a joke. I meant to put a smiley face but I guess it didn't post. And since sarcasm doesn't pick up well in writing, I feel this needs to be said.

The New Yorker seems very upscale to me, though. It seems like every article is about someone or something that has no interest to me. But maybe its because most of it has nothing to do with me or where I live (Arkansas).

I'm glad you like it, cause the articles are written well. It just isn't my style. But then again, I'm not really a magazine guy.

Fabulous article. Thanks.

For the record, it was meant as a joke. I meant to put a smiley face but I guess it didn't post. And since sarcasm doesn't pick up well in writing, I feel this needs to be said.

The New Yorker seems very upscale to me, though. It seems like every article is about someone or something that has no interest to me. But maybe its because most of it has nothing to do with me or where I live (Arkansas).

I'm glad you like it, cause the articles are written well. It just isn't my style. But then again, I'm not really a magazine guy.
What I've always liked about the New Yorker is a willingness to write about something positively, and with admiration. There is an instinct in certain writers - esp. in Germany where I live - to distance oneself from the topic. There is very often a slightly condescending tone, a way of trying find something slightly venal in the person, the need to find a sour distasteful note. There's always a little bit of "Gotcha!" The New Yorker (outside of its juvenile political editorials) is an open-minded read.... it's never "Jeez, look how serious that little farmer takes his herd of funny-looking Alpacas." It's always done with respect.

Most reactions

Back