Asking for BW images in color

SarahAnnCanada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It seems like this month, half my clients are asking for the B&W images to be including in a 'color copy'.

I always convert a few images to B&W, maybe 5-10% of their images, and I always include a similar photo in color.

Now, I know it isn't the end of the world, but it does create extra work. I convert from RAW and play with my levels until it's the perfect B&W, and THEN I edit & retouch, so giving a 'color copy' really means starting that images back from square one.

I'm just curious as to what other photographers think about this type of situation?

For myself, we hire a photog every year for our family photos, and I would never in 100 years ask for an image to be converted back to color. I hire based on their portfolio, and trust him or her to use their artistic ability & creativity to make these types of decisions.

How do you view this? What would you do?

We give clients "up to" X number of photos based on what package they buy.
We are happy to accommodate them if they want B&W or color, but if they want images above and beyond the contracted amount, it costs extra. Even for B&W conversions. Typically we produce a set of proofs and the client picks out the photos they want from that set. It gives us a chance to sell extra pictures and prints. Give the clients whatever they want, just don't do it for free.

What does your contract say you will deliver? Whatever your contract says is what they should expect.

Never had this issue. Something tells me you're leaving a loophole open in your presentation/pitch/interaction with clients that leaves them with the impression that your "artistic vision" is subject to their approval.

Either that, or you're not exposing properly, and trying to address the issue in post.

I do images with multiple "looks" using Lightoom presets that I run through and modify, but I START with the dust-spotting and touch-ups on a full-color image. Then then monochrome images are done off of that. Lightroom makes some gorgeous monochrome conversions, FAST, and offers easy modifications and tweaking, and an EASY way to copt the corrections, but not the exposure, and paste it to different images.

If people want extra services, why not tack that on to their bill? Otherwise, you're working longer and harder, and not making as good a profit from sessions.

Hmmm. That would most definitely work if my packages were set up a little differently (something to think about for 2015 packages!)
My sessions include (for example) a minimum of 20 images. I typically give a few more than that - choosing the best to edit. If I edit them, they get them on their disk.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back