At what speed do you rate HP5+???

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by OldManJim, Nov 20, 2017.

1. OldManJim

OldManJim TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been shooting a lot of HP5+ lately in both 35mm and 120 format. While Ilford rates this film at ISO 400, I seem to have a little better results when using it at 200. Recently, I tried a roll at 800 and got good results. I realize HP5+ has a great deal of exposure latitude & this got me to wondering if there is a consensus on rating this film's speed.

I develop in Sprint (D-76 clone) at 21C on a Jobo processor and scan negs using an Epson scanner.

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Top Poster Of Month

I have not done much film in the last couple years. But when I do shoot film I don't push or pull unless I run into a limitation. I pretty much shoot at what they recommend. With all the product developement and testing they do. I am sure they sell the film at the speed their testing shows that it performs the best at. Now I also realize the films best performance speed is not always on the box. That they will round to the nearest typical speed. With modern cameras you can now set for the films best speed (if you know it, for the slower films anyway). But I would imagine your looking very closely at the film to find a quality difference of 10% in speed.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. timor

timor Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is many factors to the film speed. So, there is factory indicated speed and personal film speed. Factory speed is judged according to set of rules same for all manufacturers. In theory, ha ha ! There might be differences between batches of same film.
    Personal speed depends on everything you do with film. Storage, your equipment calibration, chemicals (never assume they have always same quality), your method of developing (timing, agitation), calibration of your thermometer (very important !). Even quality of the water used for processing. Setting personal speed requires some experimentation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. orf

orf No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At box speed; I used a 1950s folder at f8-f11.

5. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With BW you could do a film speed test but you have to have a darkroom for that. With C-41 I normally shoot all my Fuji 400 at 320 to give it a bump with saturation.

When in doubt......bracket.

6. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

My SOP is to start off dividing by 2. Shoot some test images and pull process. Check results. Shoot again and adjust developing.

I usually end up shooting at 1/2 the stated ISO and some level of pull processing.