attempt at an informal portrait

errant_star

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkanderson.com
Spent the afternoon with my mom trying my hand at her portrait (trying to photograph her is hellish ... the least photogenic person I know!) This is the one I like best ...

Any thoughts ... good enough to print??

ALL comments appreciated on this one

prisportraitcopy.jpg

Its a great candid- very clear shot, but I think the lack of color is hurting it. The surrounding gray is too powerful. If she had on a brighter color shirt it would help with the monochromatic feel i get from it which almost takes away from her happy smile. Hope this helps.

A tighter crop to take out some gray. Also I think that the angle is rather severe. There's no reason to keep the horizon horizontal in this case, so I would tilt the camera some, then have her head tilted as is.

What aobut trying it in black and white? Might make for a better photo - I agree with the crop - too much background.

Nice work. You've almost given me even encouragment to try portraits myself. (maybe)

While I agree on the "abundance" of background and on the fact that a crop could help, I think that otherwise the uniform grey background makes the face stand out more and very nicely so. I like the skin tones here!

Seeing this portrait, I don't know why you say your mom's the least photogenic person you can think of. This one speaks against it: she's very natural and displays a really, really, REALLY nice smile!

It just has too much other stuff detracting from the main subject....which is her. My eyes seem to want to wander around looking at everything else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back