Attempting a Small Business

Wow, since you said shy dogs are dangerous and unpredictable, I suggest you stay away from shy dogs expecially your local shelter. Pit bull, rotweiler, and German Shepherd are the top three aggressive dogs. You said they are dangerous. You better to stay away from them too.

If you can recognize the sign of behaviors a head of time, you can prevent dog from biting. There are no such thing as unpredictable behaviors.

Your client's dog is different from your dog that you grew up with. You don't know the history and what temperament of a client's dog. Once a dog bite you, that is your and your client's issue and a potential of a lawsuit in the future.

And you said shy dogs are aggressive which is entirely untrue. I also don't particularly care for the statistics. I don't know if you've noticed, but these are also dogs that people frequently use for purposes of being aggressive or protective. In fact, pit bulls were once family dogs. It was humans who changed that. And aside from that, approaching a dog without learning the temperament of would be idiotic and any damage would be my own fault if I proceeded to do so.

But if anyone has any ideas as to what kind of lens I should look into getting or anything else, that'll be great too. I'm just sort of lost since I'm totally unfamiliar with businesses in general and all that comes along with it.
Way way WAY too close! Get a longer lens and back away (like on the other side of the room away).

Call your state to get free advice on how to set up your business. Call your town to find out if you need to get a business license. Call your insurance agent to get coverage for liability and potential damage/loss of property (yours and your clients'). Set up a pricing structure and write it down someplace, such as a website, handout card, or whatever so the customers see it in writing. Ask for payment at the time of the shoot. Offer prints that will be printed mail-order and handed over (by you) when they are mailed to you. Don't give away your electronic files. Show proofs on your own computer or post very small files on a website (large files can be grabbed and printed by non-paying customers). Keep track of income and expenses and aways show your income on your tax return.

Thank you. I actually have a lens that I did most of my photography with and, while it does not zoom, it's set that you actually have to stand a short distance away. Especially for the full body. For the ones of Ash sitting (the tabby in monochrome, both looking towards and away from the camera), I was sitting a few feet away. I also have a telephoto though I don't use it as much since the other one is better for indoor photography. None of them are professional quality though. I'll have to keep an eye out for a better one that's used. Maybe I'll be able to afford it at some point.

You don't know the history and what temperament of a client's dog.

Way way WAY too close! Get a longer lens and back away (like on the other side of the room away).

Both of these statements seem pertinent to any pet photography business.

Dogs/cats/pets that are not familiar with you will not let you get as close as you do in your photos.

I also agree with the other statements that all the photos are too close. That's fine for one or two shots that you may provide as extra options for purchase from your client, but if I'm paying for a photographer to get a photo of my dog, I want a full body portrait. That portrait would need to be a professional portrait, with backdrop, lighting, etc.

Thank you. I will work on full bodies. I think it'll be easier for me to get the hang of it when I clean up the backyard and try outdoor photography. Right now, I don't have much to help with lighting (I plan on fixing this soon) and I feel like full bodies just don't look quite as nice. But outside in natural lighting, all the colors and patterns just seem so much nicer and stand out much more. I think a full body will look much nicer outsider and then I'll get the practice and maybe I'll be better at them inside.

Feared and shy dogs will lead to aggression, or Fearful and Aggressive. Look at the link I posted. Pit bulls were crossbreed of bulldog and unknown terrier dog. They were bred to be fighting dogs. Until dog-fighting was banned in the U.S., pitbulls became family dogs.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back