Attempting to take night shot of city view... having problems

Yea, you definitely need a way longer shutter speed than 1/1.25 sec. I was out doing night shots of the city the other night at ISO 100 and taking anywhere from 15 to 30 second exposures. Are you using your light meter to find the right shutter speed?

Definitely need a longer exposure. I think overall the scene just isn't as interesting as the New York photo. I like Wozza's idea of trying the shot a bit before the sun completely sets. But try just a longer exposure, and see that what does for the photo.

Which lens are you using for this? Try using the wide angle lens, somewhere within mid-range (you should know when your lens is at it's sharpest) at somewhere around f8... or even smaller, maybe smaller than f10, with a very long exposure.
Also, thanks for mirror lock tip!

Set your aperture to at least F/16 instead of F/4 (yes this lets in less light but greater DOF, which is more important in this scenario!). Use your camera's meter to dial in the proper exposure time (likely in the 15-20 second range). A sturdy tripod is a MUST. The MUP trick is also good. Use the delay timer too to give the camera time to stop shaking after you press the shutter.

Any lens can be used in this scenario with reasonably good results, even something like a Sigma 10-20mm which is well known as being a pretty slow lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back