Attn.: Wildlife/NG wannabees

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Apart from the stunning portfolio, National Geographic icon Michael Nichols' website looks like a great resource for the wildlife/nature photogs and wannabe NG photogs.

quote from the article

Geographic is still shooting transparencies. I think technology is probably the least important thing to consider. But you do have to be able to handle transparencies to shoot for the Geographic

just thought i would share that, Recently i remember there was some discussion regarding how people were all digital now for those sort of publications

fightheheathens said:
quote from the article

Geographic is still shooting transparencies. I think technology is probably the least important thing to consider. But you do have to be able to handle transparencies to shoot for the Geographic

just thought i would share that, Recently i remember there was some discussion regarding how people were all digital now for those sort of publications
Good question you bring up, do you need to shot transparencies to shot for magazines like NG. As the quote says “I think technology is probably the least important thing to consider.” NG has the freedom to chouse the best of the best.

Remember NG has the luxury of longer time lines. Also IMO anyone than when out on an assignment to a remote location without a manual backup is pushing their luck.

PS:
Daniel thanks for the link

i've checked into Arizona Highways about submitting a few shots and this is their policy...

In order to achieve the high-quality reproductions in our publications, we prefer large format (4x5) transparencies, especially for the large scenic landscapes that we are famous for. We will use medium format and 35mm transparencies that display exceptional quality and content. Some subjects such as wildlife and people are best suited to 35mm, but in order to achieve high-quality reproduction they must be shot on fine-grained color slide film (100 ISO or slower). NO PRINTS, NEGATIVES, DIGITAL-CAPTURE PHOTOGRAPHS, OR DUPLICATE TRANSPARENCIES WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR REVIEW BY THE PHOTOGRAPHY EDITORS.

"we prefer large format (4x5) transparencies"...?
Huh? Last time I looked 4x5 was medium format!
8x10 transparencies (or neg film) is large format.

W.Smith said:
"we prefer large format (4x5) transparencies"...?
Huh? Last time I looked 4x5 was medium format!
8x10 transparencies (or neg film) is large format.
It is the smallest of large format sizes. LF begins with 4x5, then onwards to 5x7, 8x10, etc.

We normally define large format as cameras that shoot sheet film and medium format cameras as those that shoot 120/220 roll film. It isn't an ironclad definition but that's the way most photogs define it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back