Autofocus and Noise: D90 v. D3 & 1D

No not allowed, even the dog was laughing at me it was so dark
491249923_Y3wvd-L.jpg

:lmao:

I don't think so Tim.
You can think whatever you want, it's a plastic body that lacks weather sealing and even a high end AF system. It's not an insult to the camera, but it certainly is entry level (highend of the consumer line) just as the T1i is entry level.
I thought he was rhetorically referring to the old show Home Improvement, with Tim Allen.... :confused:
I know he wasn't responding to me (but to KmH), I just wanted to mention that I too believe the D90 is entry level. :)

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up but what was your AF setting on? Single Focus or Continuous Focus? Also, was your camera on Single Area or Dynamic Focus?

And lastly--I don't want to sound snarky, but I do think the older Sigma 70-200/2.8 models are sub-par in terms of AF speed, based on the number of posters over the years who have reported similar complaints, and have then switched to the 70-200 VR since 2003. If you want, I can refer you to a small brick and mortar photo store that has three 70-200 VR's at $1,200 each. PM me if you do.

the 70-200 VR's that you are referring to... new/used?
Thanks.

2.) Noise.

Big question: Are those two cameras THAT much better at AF and Noise reduction?

:confused:
Yes, they are that much better at AF and have far better ISO performance than a D90.

The D90 is an entry-level camera. The D3/1D and 70-200 mm's are/were flagship, top-of-the-line, full professional gear.

I don't think so Tim.
I'm KmH, not Tim. ;)

Any Nikon with the Dxx designation is an entry-level camera, as is the newer Dxxxx number series. The D90 is at the top of that list but entry-level none the less.

That doesn't mean it's not a capable camera. It just means it lacks prosumer level features and capabilities.

Last edited:
I don't personally agree. I think they overpowered it, and gave it too many features to keep it in the same category with the D40, D60, D3000, & D5000.

There is not that much between yours and the students shots, first off i would use a higher iso next time to get a higher shutter speed try and expose your histogram to the right so they are slightly overexposed you will get less noise and shoot in raw

Most reactions

New Topics

Back