B&W film/darkroom

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by yashica4life, Sep 30, 2004.

1. yashica4life

yashica4life TPF Noob!

Im taking a darkroom course and I need C-41 B&W film. Whats the difference between developing Colour C-41 and B&W C-41? And I have a roll of T-Max 400 but thats not C-41 is it? :scratch:

2. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Why would you need C-41 if you're taking a darkroom class?? You should need normal b/w so you can develop it there! I'm confused...

3. rangefinder

rangefinder TPF Noob!

Plus-X, Tri-X and T-Max are NOT C-41 process films.

Kodak make "Professional BW400CN" which is a black and white film process C-41.

I have printed some of the earlier C-41 B&W negatives on RA-4 paper and can only say they were OK.

If you are in a B&W lab course I, too, question why a C-41 film, unless it is to demonstrate the differences between these and other real B&W films.

4. gecko

gecko TPF Noob!

i def think your teacher said not to use c-41

5. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

yeah, your teacher prob said NO C-41. I may be wrong here but c-41 b&w film isnt really that, it is actually color film striped of its color layers so that the film can be developed on the same machine as the color film. its convenient for 1 hour labs. doesnt get good contrast eather. But then again i could be completely wrong here.

6. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

yeah, your teacher prob said NO C-41. I may be wrong here but c-41 b&w film isnt really that, it is actually color film striped of its color layers so that the film can be developed on the same machine as the color film. its convenient for 1 hour labs. doesnt get good contrast eather. But then again i could be completely wrong here.

7. yashica4life

yashica4life TPF Noob!

Ya I dunno I thought that was pretty weird too. The receptionist really didnt know anything. I called to get more info about the dark room course and she just said "uhhhh.....darkroom?" but I went down there and signed up and she said "it has to be....c......c something" and I asked if it was c-41 and she said yes. Maybe I should give them another call :?

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it's a traditional BW darkroom class then they don't want C-41, but who knows, maybe your teach wants to show you guys how to dev C-41. I learned to develop it in color class.