Old TMax, loooong fix

JamesD

Between darkrooms
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a roll of 120 TMax 100 that was likely exposed around 2008, which I developed last night. I used Kodak fixer (not rapid) that's around 2018 vintage iirc, but was all sealed in the original packet until I mixed it a few days ago.

I know from developing TMax films in the past that it's demanding on the fixer and it's not unusual to come out pink and need a second fix, but I've never needed an hour and a half and three fixer changes to clear it before. This is also the first time I can specifically remember developing TMax 120, and for an added bonus, there's only one 6x7 exposure on the film, at or just before the end of the roll (I'm assuming shutter failure). Fixing temp was 67-68°F (it's usually 60-62 in my house so I made a point of boosting it).

I'm guessing the difficulty in fixing is due to the large amount of unexposed film (particularly TMax in 120) and the small amount of fixer in a small tank (about 550 ml), and of course it wasn't rapid fixer. But I'm also wondering whether anyone else might have some insight into this? An hour and a half does seem awfully long even under those conditions. I'm also working on the assumption that powdered fixer in the sealed original package would be pretty stable over the five years or so since I bought it.

(Dev was fresh D-76 1:1 mixed a few days ago and bottled with marbles after processing two rolls of 135. Film markings and light leaks at the edges all look normal.)

That fixer must be bad cause the T-Max films I process never come out pink. But I use Ilford rapid fix (liquid) for 3-5 min continuous agitation (Note: I replenish my fix because I dev 150-200 rolls of BW a month). I also wash for 30 mins.
BTW, IMHO I think Kodak powdered fix is crap as it will sometimes leave stains on HP5 120.

Thank you for the insight. I've had TMax in 135 come out pink when the fixer is exhausted or nearly so, and usually a second fix with fresh fixer resolves it. The Kodak technical pubs mention it, as well. But I have never processed enough film to warrant replenishment, so it's just small quantities in a small tank, so I'd expect it's much more likely to reach exhaustion.

I did notice that the developer came out of the tank with a pink hue, which I've never noticed before. Iirc, the last time I was developing film, I was using TMax developer, which I don't plan to do again. I also didn't do the prewash I normally do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back