B&W Photo Development Water Temperature Equipment

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by Hpilot, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Hpilot

Hpilot TPF Noob!

Looking for simple, cheap(relatively), effective means of having a constant temperature water supply to develop my black and white photos. I've looked at commercial units that are way above what I can pay.
    Any sources for constant water temperature supply devices, especially used, would be great.
    Thanks,
    Gail

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The oldest, least-expensive way is a large sink, pan, or bucket which makes the "water bath", which hold temps fairly constant. This was used a lot in the early days of at-home color film processing, where temps were much higher than the 65 to 72 degrees Farenheit used in most B&W film development.

One way to get constant temp is to store the chemicals and some rinse water in jugs, in a closet or under the sink or in a cabinet, where the temperature will mostly be fairly stable over time. You can also develop by time and temperature, giving more time for colder developer, less time for warmer, rathr than say, trying to develop ONLY at one, set temperature, every time.

In HOT temps, the water bath would serve to keep the developing tank cool, in cold times, the opposite.

As far as temperature control units that are plumbed into the water supply...no idea.

3. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Anova - Precision Cooker Bluetooth

I'd use a sous vide recirculator. Buy a cambro tub big enough to fit what you need it to, fill with water, set the temp, and off you go.

4. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

How much film are you developing at one time?

I never had any problem adding hot or cold water to the developer to attain optimum temps.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've also never had any trouble dealing with it. I get the developer to temperature using a thermometer and combo of hot and cold water. I get my fixer to temperature by sitting the container in a tub of water hotter than the fixer and take it out when it's the right temp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Light Guru

Light Guru Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I like to keep my house at 68 degrees which just happens to be the temp recommended by my developer.

If the storage temperature is close to the recommended development temperature then you can adjust development time accordingly. This will help determine how to adjust it.
    B&W Film Developing Times | The Massive Dev Chart

Another option is stand development where temperature is not important.

7. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So do you adjust your developing time since you've altered the dev/water mix ratio?

8. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Rarely, I develop with D-76. As I dilute the stock developer I'll add cold or hot water in order to attain the optimal temp. If I'm a degree high or low I will compensate with shorter or longer times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do the same with Caffenol - I do the temperature adjustments while mixing.

And like Light Guru, it's usually only a couple of degrees since room temp is always hovering around 68F anyway.

10. Light Guru

Light Guru Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No the way Ive done it in the past you are not altering your dev/water mix ratio you adjust the temp of the water that you add to developer when making the working solution so that the working solution is the correct temp.

11. maris

maris TPF Noob!

I never never adjust water temperature for black and white development. Adjusting and maintaining water temperature is difficult and expensive if one is going to be precise about it. And it's completely unnecessary. If my tap water runs at a constant temperature somewhere between 13C (55F) and 34C (93F) I just change the developing time. Developing is a time and temperature process and timing within a couple of seconds is much more precise than letting temperature vary, say, +/- 1 degree F. And modern black and white films don't care, aren't damaged, if the temperature isn't 68F which is itself is a historical relic from the early days of photography.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I usually did both, a bath to hold the jug that was at 68 and when making the working solution of the developer I usually just added water at 68 and as the storage area was always close to that temp anyway.

At the course lab we had a sink with a thermometer built in so it was very simple to have 68 degree water at the tap.