Back again... Lens HELP

Ahhh you're right! My bad...

Most zoom lenses that have a macro feature do not offer very high reproduction ratio. On most zooms, the "macro" nomenclature really only means the lens focuses somewhat closer than older lens designs would have...which is...often not all that close. Now, there have been some exceptions to this, and a FEW zoom lenses have offered pretty useful, fairly high magnification for close-up subjects, which for example would allow a person to come in to within say 6 inches or so from a flower, to make a nice close-up. Nikon's older 28-105mm f/3.5~4.5 AF-D lens offers pretty decent macro performance, and is a lens that's available cheaply on the used market, but the 28mm bottom end means it's got no wide angle effect on APS-C sensor bodies. But, overall, don;t pay much heed to the term "macro" when its tacked onto the official name of most zoom lenses...it's not the macro you probably are imagining it is, it's usually only marketing.

I was thinking of the Tamron 17-50/2.8, but the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8~4 might be alright too. I don't know enough about the Sigma 17-70 to say one way or another....but the added 20mm on the top end would be handy.

The Sigma 17-70 makes a really nice, affordable, everyday walk around lens -- it goes 1:2.7 at 70mm and focuses close so it's good for flowers and close-up stuff, it's decently sharp wide open, has pleasant bokeh, and shoot slightly wider and longer than a 18-55.

Most zoom lenses that have a macro feature do not offer very high reproduction ratio. On most zooms, the "macro" nomenclature really only means the lens focuses somewhat closer than older lens designs would have...which is...often not all that close. Now, there have been some exceptions to this, and a FEW zoom lenses have offered pretty useful, fairly high magnification for close-up subjects, which for example would allow a person to come in to within say 6 inches or so from a flower, to make a nice close-up. Nikon's older 28-105mm f/3.5~4.5 AF-D lens offers pretty decent macro performance, and is a lens that's available cheaply on the used market, but the 28mm bottom end means it's got no wide angle effect on APS-C sensor bodies. But, overall, don;t pay much heed to the term "macro" when its tacked onto the official name of most zoom lenses...it's not the macro you probably are imagining it is, it's usually only marketing.
Thank you so much for your detailed write ups! Yes I've realized that. I am going into marketing after all so I know the tricks :p

I was thinking of the Tamron 17-50/2.8, but the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8~4 might be alright too. I don't know enough about the Sigma 17-70 to say one way or another....but the added 20mm on the top end would be handy.

The Sigma 17-70 makes a really nice, affordable, everyday walk around lens -- it goes 1:2.7 at 70mm and focuses close so it's good for flowers and close-up stuff, it's decently sharp wide open, has pleasant bokeh, and shoot slightly wider and longer than a 18-55.
Thank you! That just justifies my decision! :)

I have samples with it using my D3100 is you're interested in looking.

Yes that would be great!

Most reactions

Back