Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
with a new (to me) Mamiya 645 AFD, 80mm 2.8, 55mm 2.8, 35mm fisheye and 105-210 zoom, and Metz flash. I haven't taken the dive for a Leaf back yet, I figure maybe next spring, but I've really been missing the opportunity to make really big monochrome prints.

The point of this post? None. Just sharing!

How much did you pay? I've been looking to buy a good MF kit for awhile, and I'm kinda lost. Lately I've been looking at a Yashica Mat 124.

Any advice for someone just starting out?

$1500, shipping included and a few odds and ends (extra flash battery packs, filters, cable-release, etc) included.

White, what kind of shooting do you want to do?
I suppose it would be easier to say what I don't want to shoot. Macros, weddings, sports, etc. I am more into fine art / conceptual photography and I mainly want the larger negative size for printing purposes. I am finding my 35mm very limiting in that regard.

... and I think TLRs are neat little cameras. :lol:

But I'm also looking at Pentax 645, 67, etc.

Congrats on the new system. A medium format camera with a tele-zoom sounds like a fun tool to use for portraiture. Prices on MF gear sure have come down these days!!!

Congrats on the new system. A medium format camera with a tele-zoom sounds like a fun tool to use for portraiture. Prices on MF gear sure have come down these days!!!

Thanks Derrel - that actually plays right into a project I have in mind; BIG (as in REALLY big) monochrome portraits. I think the 24mm fisheye will be fun too.

White, the Mamiya C33 has interchangeable lenses and is a TLR but from what you have said I would suggest a Mamiya RB/RZ 67. I'd say these over the Pentax 67 and Hassy due to a: the rotating back and b: the price for a system. You could probably do what you've described with a fixed focal length but the wonders of wide angel and the separation of a telephoto would be unavailable to you.

As I said there are interchangeable lenses for the Mamiya TLR But you have to ask yourself just how many of them are left in good shape and if you do get a good set, can they be repaired? And if so, for how much?

Have a look around, both here and on the net for other people's experiences with the Mamiya 67s.

How do you like the Mamiya 645 so far? It really looked tempting to me but I chose to go with the RZ67. SOmetimes I think though maybe it's a little too bulky and it would be nice to pick up a 645 to play with =)

Also, how big prints will you make? Do you have any experience with medium format?

Very pleased with the 645 so far; handling-wise it's much like a slightly larger (and heavier) SLR. I looked at the RZs & RBs because I'm really attracted by the idea of those big negatives, but since I plan to purchase a Leaf back for this in the near future, and given that even the largest sensor is nowhere near 6x7 it didn't make sense to me, as well as the fact that I can put a digital back directly on the AFD without an $1000 adaptor plate.

The prints I want to make for the project I have in mind will be in the 20x24 range. I haven't worked with MF in many years; used to do a lot of 4x5 work, and some 6x6. Never had anything this high-tech to play with though!

Last edited:
How much did you pay? I've been looking to buy a good MF kit for awhile, and I'm kinda lost. Lately I've been looking at a Yashica Mat 124.

Any advice for someone just starting out?

I have a Yashica mat 124G, its so pretty and shiney, i agree TLRs are good looking cameras. :mrgreen:
Good to use too... although i have a few older Rollicords and they can be a bit tricky, esp with winding and film spacing... the Yashica tho works like a dream.

The only problem i hit when going down this MF road is the scanning. I don't have a scanner that will take 6x6 negs so i had to improvise... the result is a usable web copy of the photo but nothing you'd print from.

Do you shoot for fun, or as part of the job?

This is a nice MF for general purpose.

The film is strictly for me as part of a large-scale portraiture project I have in mind. Once I put together the cash for a decent Leaf back I'll be using it for paid gigs as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back