Back on the Streets (and to the Forum)

DReali

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everybody!

It´s been a while since I´ve posted any of my work -- been busy working for the newspaper and I haven´t had too much time to shoot what I like shooting best: the crazies in the street....
I´m not saying I haven´t been enjoying my job as a photojournalist..... just have a look here - but I warn you - although this article has been printed in a major publication it is NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!! Notes From Underground: May, 2010 | The Vienna Review NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!!

Here are a few from the street that I´ve taken in the little free time I´ve had over the last few months. I started using color where I found it to be suitable but I still love the B&W:

1:
IMG_6517b.jpg

2:
IMG_5485.jpg

3:
IMG_6507f.jpg

4:
IMG_6554.jpg

5:
IMG_5754b.jpg

6:
IMG_3456.jpg

7:
IMG_5461.jpg

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Great subjects, but the soft focus and post-processing doesn't do much for me.

Same goes for me. The composition and the subjects work well, but I'd rather see straight b&w images without the fake shallow dof.

Cheers guys... The dof is completely natural, I use my 50mm f 1.4 prime. I change the levels for the bg and subject individually and that may be what you're referring to....

Are you using a really strong diffusion filter? I'd be able to appreciate the shots a lot more if it weren't so soft. All the subjects have a lot of age lines and facial definition, and with the particular lighting you use, the shots would be a lot more dramatic with a really sharp focus

Cheers guys... The dof is completely natural, I use my 50mm f 1.4 prime. I change the levels for the bg and subject individually and that may be what you're referring to....

I see that you used the 50mm, 1.4, but there are odd places, especially on the guy with the pipe, that look like extra blur was added.

Like I said, the shots are great, but I'd rather see them all presented in the same way as #6.

Where did you get the picture of the pirate? :)

Personally, number 3 takes the cake.

The rest just feel out of place, as in the subjects. When you start slicing people from the background, it is my opinion you need to ground the viewer in a plane of "reality" so to speak.

When you cut the subject perfectly from the background it looks too fake, it is quite rare that even with our natural human eye blur that the subject will be in a perfect plane of focus. Number 3 leads the eye naturally out of focus into the rest of the image, also the post production here is the cleanest out of all of them.

To comment on your post production: Be more careful. You sliced color out of people, and left splotches on others. The very last photo leaves more color in the forehead of the subject and less on the chin, the pirate has the color cut with almost a straight line at his neck making his face look extremely red and about to burst!

All in all, I would say number 3 would be perfect for a portfolio piece. The production of the image is subtle enough to highlight the attitude of the subject without taking away directly from the subject. The rest I would say almost the exact opposite, you went too heavy on too much of it, and should have left the photos do more of the talking because they are very strong pieces. Also remember to ground the focal plane somehow to the viewer, otherwise it will look very fake to any inexperienced (no offense to anyone) on lookers. The first thought to many these days will be, "This picture is touched up, everyone uses photoshop."

People are always looking for photoshopped elements today, even where none exist. So avoid giving them a reason to think any exist at all, the most successful image manipulations are the ones that go unnoticed.

I think they are beautiful photos, and I like your style. I don't think this style, both the camera settings and post-processing compliments every subject, but I think it works very well for photos 1, 3, and 7. I think 3 is just a great shot all around. Thanks for sharing. Great shots.

I think these are really nice shots. I give you a lot of credit for taking them, assuming you don't know these people. I want to just take pictures of people on the streets, but I always think people would take it offensively. My favorite of yours is number three, it creates a really nice mood, and it's a bit comical

I could see this topic being discussed for a long time, as each individual has a personal taste that is somewhat different.

In general, I like 3, 4, and 6. I think they could stand on their own.

The others portraits pop from the backround, and I think they could be used if they are part of a theme.

I also give you credit for urban/person shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back