Back to Basics!

Digital

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been shooting with DSLR now for 5 years and im having no problems its all good. Though i have just gotten a job as a mobile photographer doing portriats though I was shocked to find out after getting the job that they use film slr!! I was very surprised but said nothing though I have never picked up a film camera before and cant get my head around it. Even though they said full training im feel out of depth not having slr experience.

I dont know how to find the perfect exposure on different scenes and all when I cant see what the result is like. The studio is two umbrella's with a white backdrop. Im really hoping its as simple as setting the camera to auto mode and using like a meter to adjust it with the flash and its set up. Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Using the auto mode while shooting a white backdrop, is a recipe for underexposure.

If you are using flash/strobes, then you should also have a flash meter. If you know how to use the meter, you should be getting accurate exposures.

I can get my head around using the meter but what about different peoples clothes and there skin tone all the minor stuff. I seen the girl working and people were coming up to here, sat them down and few clicks and she is done? She didnt adjust anything or use any meter?

I shoot laptops and tablet PCs for our home business using a light box and I rarely have to change the settings on the camera. When you have a controlled studio environment, the changes to your settings become fewer and farther between.

The nice thing about a hand held meter, is that you can measure the light directly. If you set your exposure for that, you should be OK. The camera's meter is a 'Reflective' light meter, meaning that it changes depending on the reflectivity of the subject...which often requires you to compensate for the scene or subject you're shooting.

Also, when shooting with strobes, the camera should be in manual mode anyway, because the camera can't meter for studio strobes. So if the strobes are consistent and the camera is in manual (consistent exposure) then you don't need to meter for every person. Just sit them down and shoot away.

Many 'on-location' photographers don't need flash meters because they have learned what exposure settings are needed for their lights at certain distances. If you know that your lights will give you F8 at 10', then you probably don't need to meter each shot.

is this a reputable company???

Now its sounding easy and more like what I seen. I feel kinda stupid asking these questions as I have been doing digital photography for about 5 years and never had any probs. I just would die if I done a weeks shooting, send away the film and they all came up over or under exposed.

So basically its the same set up all the time, same distance from the camera to subject and the lights must be set up same apart. If that is all done prop, meter for the subject with the handheld meter on manual then im good to shoot all day?

No its a very small company

Buy some film, go in after hours and practice! I can't imagine your boss would be upset.

You might also want to take a peek at the other photographer's settings. One would think your's should be very similar.

since the studio is the same everytime ie camera position and subject position it should just be a matter of metering the scene in the morning and thats it. I was just worried about small details ie someone with red top and someone with white top but if the metering doesnt really needed to be changed its all good.

Why don't you just shoot with a Dslr?

You need a flash meter. Period.

I would recommend shooting a little bit with your digital in order to proof. Then shoot the film. Back in the day proofing was done all the time, but with Polaroid. If your boss wants to know why you're proofing, tell him or her that Polaroid went out of business and Fuji instant just isn't the same...

I would find out why they use flim SLRs and see if you would be able to use your DSLR since your more comfortable with it. They could be an old company and just never made the switch to DSLRs

digital or not digital, the basics should still be the same. If you have a problem with film, you will be experiencing the same problem with a DSLR.

I would be very nervous if my wife started using the type of math that this administration employs. I can not think of any horror movie or story that would be as frightening as that would be. Can you imagine if your better half stated "I think that Washington has a better idea for handling our expenses and I am going to use their methods". The entire country is nearly bankrupt by this accounting, why would anyone consider believing them? Yes back to basics starting in Washington.

TPF = The Photo Forum TPF =/= The Political Forum :er:

In will learn im sure its simple. I dout they would let me use digital as they wouldnt have the means to print it

Most reactions

Back