Bad HDR

The Barbarian

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tried overcooking one. Now I know why I don't do that...

30742430245_3f730ed235_b.jpg

There is a time and place for everything and I think this may one of those times that HDR works - I like it.

I like it too.
I have a friend who takes his cell phone pics and overcooks them all the time. ALL THE TIME. Far more than what you have.

This process is intersting, but it's not hdr and it doesn't fix the technical flaws with thr image...

using tapatalk.

I like this one to but isn't this really tone mapping.

Yeah. Don't do that. Ugh.

not hdr when taken from a single exposure. it's just overcooked.

Agreed but once you except that you can then find interesting things in it. Sort of strange in it's own right.

Whatever process was used it produced an interesting image.

I like it.

says who?

using multiple is a simply one technique in achieving HDR.

says who?

using multiple is a simply one technique in achieving HDR.

I am not even sure how to respond to this. HDR isn't an "art" thing. It's a technical thing. According to Wikipedia:

a high dynamic range (HDR) technique used in imaging and photography to reproduce a greater dynamic range of luminosity than is possible with standard digital imaging or photographic techniques.

Taking a single exposure using a DSLR is about as "standard" as it gets.

HDR is not tone-mapping, rather tone-mapping is the means by which to compress the data recorded in an HDR image so that it resembles natural perception. Such "over-cooking" is a result of improperly configuring the algorithms to accomplish this goal in a deliberate or artistic way in order to get a "painterly" effect.

You CAN tonemap single exposure (LDR) images, but this does not impact the Dynamic Range captured.

You are free to dispute this if you want, but I'm simply not in the mood to keep arguing over something that is by definition not the case or is really even up for debate. Until we have cameras that can record in a single exposure 32-bits of dynamic range and spit out an OpenEXR file, I'll stand by what I wrote here. The technology exists, but I doubt that it was used here.

What's the next sentence in that quote?

If "standard" digital imaging techniques, like shooting RAW and extending the DR of the final image results in an image that "present a similar range of luminance to that experienced through the human visual system", is that then not HDR?

If I process a single image using "standard" digital imagine techniques, vs. arbitrarily taking 3 images and combining them, but the end result in each is very very similar, is one not HDR simply but the method in which it was processed?

today's sensors are good enough that capturing a single image is ultimately like capturing multiple +/- 3EV shots. all the information is there, but it needs to be processed in order to display it correctly.

My comment had nothing to do about "art" or "tone-mapping" I just reject the idea that HDR must be done using multiple exposures. That's all.

using tapatalk.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back