Balancing ambient and flash....

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted to practice using my speed light a bit last night while the kids were making their christmas gifts. I wanted to get the christmas tree and lights to show in the background so the season was evident. I ran into some trouble so I am hoping for some helpful tips for when I try this again.

Ambient light was metering at 12800iso 5.6 and 1/125

I wanted my aperture around there, since I was shooting both kids, while helping with the paint and I couldn't be re-metering my flash and I wanted to keep my SS around there since I was shooting kids. Since I was using ambient as fill I was still a little concerned with motion blur.

Anyways, with the flash I was able to get my ISO down to 3200, my pictures still came out a little dark though. If I turned up the power of the flash, my background went too dark. I suppose I should have raised my iso higher? Moved my flash closer to the background so it got some light too?

I guess what I am really asking here, is what is the process for deciding how to mix the two? Are there any logical steps I should be following in a particular order to get the most pleasing results? Or it this just a matter of getting to know my gear a little better and being able to think on my feet?

I don't know much about flash photography, but what was your zoom? Both on the flash and the lens you were using?

When mixing two light sources that have different color temperatures, one will need to be covered with a gel.

The flash is over powering the ambient, the flash is for fill, only way is to lower your shutter speed (shutter speed controls ambient exposure) aperture controls flash exposure, iso can also control ambient, try using those settings without the flash firing and the pucture will be black

I don't know much about flash photography, but what was your zoom? Both on the flash and the lens you were using?
That is an excellent question. When I turned myflash back on just now, it said 24mm but I'm not sure if it saves settings or resets on startup. My zoom I was trying to stay above 50mm to avoid distortion. I was mostly between 50-80 may have hit the 105 mark in a few frames.

When mixing two light sources that have different color temperatures, one will need to be covered with a gel.
Not if your turning them black and white. ;-) I don't have gels at the moment. (Though I did try to throw a yellow flag I had laying around on the flash in a poor attempt) just trying to get some practice in!

The thing to remember is that in flash photography shutter speed controls you ambient exposure, flash power and flash to subject distance control the flash exposure and aperture and ISO control control the combined ambient and flash overall exposure. Then its just a matter juggling various elements to get the effect you want.

Easiest way is to shoot for the ambience and just keep adding more flash you want it to look like there is no flash

Don't worry about your shutter speed. It has no effect as far as child movement goes - it only affects the amount of ambient light in the image. Set your background/ambient exposure (you may see a little movement blur in the Christmas lights, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but if it is, use a tripod), then add your flash, as close to the subjects as possible and as low a power as necessary. The short duration of the flash (likely <1/500) will ensure that any movement of the children is frozen.

Don't worry about your shutter speed. It has no effect as far as child movement goes - it only affects the amount of ambient light in the image. Set your background/ambient exposure (you may see a little movement blur in the Christmas lights, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but if it is, use a tripod), then add your flash, as close to the subjects as possible and as low a power as necessary. The short duration of the flash (likely <1/500) will ensure that any movement of the children is frozen.

This! When I shot my most recent wedding reception and was shooting some of the dancing, I was shooting around 1/60th and bouncing the flash, but the shots were tack sharp. The flash will stop your motion, and the SS will control your ambient.

On a separate note, when I'm in the field, I'll expose for ambient and lock those settings in (typically under-expose anywhere's between 1/3 and 1 stop), and then fill back in with flash by using a light meter to get the proper exposure.

Were you bouncing the flash? My settings might have been more like 5.6, 1/60th, and as low an ISO as I can go. 128000, f5.6, and 1/125 seems like an incredibly DARK room for inside a house :p

Cheers!
Jake

Once you get the hang of flash you can do lots with it, here's one where we were in a cave so i made the flash very similar to the ambient

IMG_4221-XL.jpg

Awesome! thank you!

This! When I shot my most recent wedding reception and was shooting some of the dancing, I was shooting around 1/60th and bouncing the flash, but the shots were tack sharp. The flash will stop your motion, and the SS will control your ambient.

On a separate note, when I'm in the field, I'll expose for ambient and lock those settings in (typically under-expose anywhere's between 1/3 and 1 stop), and then fill back in with flash by using a light meter to get the proper exposure.

Were you bouncing the flash? My settings might have been more like 5.6, 1/60th, and as low an ISO as I can go. 128000, f5.6, and 1/125 seems like an incredibly DARK room for inside a house :p

Cheers!
Jake
This is the most direct answer to my question so far. Step one, expose for ambient and set camera. Step two, meter for flash. Two steps I think I can remember! And yes, its terribly dark in our front room at night, (the one time I had to call paramedics, the pulled out their headlamps.) Luckily I get BEAUTIFUL lighting during the daytime.

Not if your turning them black and white. ;-)............

Well, it's rather difficult to answer your question if you keep changing it.

Changed? :headscratch: I never changed the question. It was always about balancing exposure of the two, I am sorry if I didn't word it effectively.

Once you get the hang of flash you can do lots with it, here's one where we were in a cave so i made the flash very similar to the ambient

IMG_4221-XL.jpg
Nice one, Gary!! Im really wanting a flash with ttl, but DH says my gear fund is empty for a while. *cry*

I dislike mixing lights.
anything I shoot indoors would be flash only. close the curtains or blinds on windows, and turn off lamps.
Then, I can set up 2-3 speedlights with brollys or softbox umbrellas to give me whatever lighting i want.

im really not very "technical" when I shoot portraits. I don't do any calculations, I don't have a handheld meter,
and I don't use any predetermined algorithms for what "should" be the best settings. I just set up the lights where i know the results will be close, take a few test shots, and adjust along the way. Usually it doesn't take me more than 3-4 shots to dial everything in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back