Balloon Warning For those that may not be aware.

Check.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's not just balloons that are a problem either. My husband and I hike along a nearby lake that is popular with fisherman. We often pick up yards of discarded fishing line, some with hooks still attached that careless fisherman have just tossed aside. Its very easy for the water fowl to get tangled in this line too or to possibly swallow the hook.

It's not just balloons that are a problem either. My husband and I hike along a nearby lake that is popular with fisherman. We often pick up yards of discarded fishing line, some with hooks still attached that careless fisherman have just tossed aside. Its very easy for the water fowl to get tangled in this line too or to possibly swallow the hook.
My aunt got a fishing hook stuck in her neck from someone's discarded waste. In some (or at least one that I know of) of the parks around here, they now have designated bins specifically for used fishing line and hooks.

Another idiotic piece of legislation; ten balloons are unsafe, but if I release 9 every day, that's okay? And, if I fill them with hydrogen, I can apparently release as many as I want because they specifically state "helium balloons"? It really makes you wonder if these people can even tie their own shoes without tax-payer funded assistance.

Another idiotic piece of legislation; ten balloons are unsafe, but if I release 9 every day, that's okay? And, if I fill them with hydrogen, I can apparently release as many as I want because they specifically state "helium balloons"? It really makes you wonder if these people can even tie their own shoes without tax-payer funded assistance.
The law states (emphasis mine):

Sec. 26-25c. Release of lighter-than-air balloons restricted. Penalty. (a) No person, nonprofit organization, firm or corporation, including the state and its political subdivisions, shall knowingly release, organize the release of or intentionally cause to be released into the atmosphere within a twenty-four-hour period ten or more helium or other lighter-than-air gas balloons in the state.
Chapter 490 - Fisheries and Game

So, it covers hydrogen as a "lighter-than-air gas". I guess the reporter just skimped on the language. :048:

Outside of that, it's more of an educational thing. Balloons are terrible for the environment.

Yea that got there head up you know what.

Fair enough, but it still doesn't get around the point that someone's decided that there's an arbitrary number at which they become bad. Either they are (ban them) or they're not (leave them alone). What strikes me as very odd about that legislation is that they ignore air-filled balloons. I've seen many outdoor weddings and parties where air-filled balloons are used to decorate and invariably at least a few, and if the wind picks up a bit, usually a LOT go sailing around the grounds. Granted, they may not go as far as helium-filled balloon, but are they somehow less harmful? Again... these people are idjits!

Fair enough, but it still doesn't get around the point that someone's decided that there's an arbitrary number at which they become bad. Either they are (ban them) or they're not (leave them alone). What strikes me as very odd about that legislation is that they ignore air-filled balloons. I've seen many outdoor weddings and parties where air-filled balloons are used to decorate and invariably at least a few, and if the wind picks up a bit, usually a LOT go sailing around the grounds. Granted, they may not go as far as helium-filled balloon, but are they somehow less harmful? Again... these people are idjits!
There are already laws against littering though, I don't see why a balloon would be different from any other form of litter.

The problem is that they have to have some number, otherwise they'd essentially be banning balloons, which likely won't happen in the near future. Maybe they have some sort of reason for 10 based on research? I'd hope so. That said, with your argument, the purpose of the air-filled balloons is for decoration. The spirit of the law (at least as I read it) is to avoid people purposely releasing balloons into the air to celebrate when it causes such environmental concerns.

I totally agree with you that air-filled balloons are also a problem, but if those were found down the street from being blown away, the owners would still be liable for littering. If the balloon is filled with helium (or other) gas and causes it to fly tens to hundreds of miles away, it's nearly impossible to link that balloon to any specific event.

I think the fishing string left behind is even worse then balloons.I untangled a gull once,it was wrapped all around its legs and wings.A local fisher helped me out, there must of been a least 50 yards of monofilament.How hard is it to pick up trash and discard it properly.

You do realize that since you've posted this somebody is now applying for a government grant to study whether or not they can tie their own shoes without tax payer funded assistance, right?

Lol

You do realize that since you've posted this somebody is now applying for a government grant to study whether or not they can tie their own shoes without tax payer funded assistance, right?

Lol
Sorry, I had to:

Most reactions

Back