Banding Issue

SCC123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm encountering an issue with seeing horizontal bands during the editing stage on Instagram and during the rendering stage on Tumblr when I crop or enlarge a recent pic to a specific size. However, the final, uploaded image is always fine and the issue doesn't occur at other sizes.

The bands also appear at those sizes when I view the photos on my phone and work PC, but they never appear on the personal Mac on which I edited them.

This Dropbox folder contains the original photo, and the bands at specific sizes.

The photo is fine when I enlarge it on my Mac either as a file or through the Photos app. On my Mac, the bands sometimes appear briefly when I enlarge it, but the Mac always corrects it so that the bands only appear for less than a fraction of a second.

The bulk of the banding is around the Taipei 101, which is where most of my recent edits took place. Interestingly, when I decreased the Sharpness to -100 for the sky, those areas did not have bands.

Also, the picture shows up as 9.4 mbs on my Mac, but somehow only 8.9 mbs on my phone and 9.1 mbs on my office PC.

Does this seem like an issue with the image itself, or how certain platforms are rendering the image?

Most reactions

Back