Baseball game

Claff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.claffie.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some may remember my question last week about shooting a MLB game from the stands with a big lens. The short version of the story is that I got in on a press pass and took in Saturday afternoon's Nationals/Dbacks game from the photo well on the first baseline: very cool. Was tough going back to being a rookie after ten years of being a media flunky freeloader at NASCAR events.

Anyway my equipment is pretty minimal, as is my photographic experience: all I used was the D100 with the cheap Sigma 70-300mm lens. The game started under a steady drizzle but by the second inning it dried enough to take the camera out and start shooting. It stayed overcast so I couldn't go faster than 1/400 which worried me about stopping action, and reviewing the pics in the LCD showed them all coming out quite dark, even after I bumped up the brighter-upener (apologies for not knowing technical terms) to +5.0. Photoshop was needed to lighten up the results adequately.

I tried using a monopod early on, for the first time ever, and found it to be more of a hindrance than a helper and went back to hand-held shooting like I'm used to. Will have to work on the monopod to get more used to it down the road.

In the pics' EXIF data it says "Color representation: Uncalibrated" - is that something that should be something different? Is my camera out of calibration and is that why I seem to get darker pics than expected even on sunny days?

Anyway knowing I was shooting under iffy conditions and with cheap equipment here's some of the stuff I came up with:

060902_011.jpg

060902_012.jpg

060902_015.jpg

060902_024.jpg

060902_028.jpg

060902_036.jpg

060902_037.jpg

060902_038.jpg

060902_041.jpg

060902_042.jpg

060902_048.jpg

these are all good shots !! you used the "cheap" lens quite well I think....

not much you can do about the blur, @300mm on that lens with that camera you need to be shooting at least @ 400 to freeze action... maybye a higher iso?

Most reactions

Back