basic questions

picsboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear friends,
I have just joined this forum so firstly
I want to say hi to all.

my questions are as follows:

1. I understand that the 'focus' fixes the distance of the plane which will be focused and 'aparture' fixes the
area which will be sharply focused (depth of field).

In Nikon SLR F55D, there is dial on its top from which one can select various modes: portait, landscape etc.
I want to know what these modes actually fix: focal distance, aparture or what ?

my second queation is: after selecting any of the modes
i.e., portait, should I keep rotating aparture ring or not ?

i was just reading
http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/photo_world/kumon/06e.htm#1.0
that what we see in viewfinder is not what camera will photograph. viewfinder always show with maximum aparture.
i wan to know if we can not believe on viewfinder then
how we can be sure for a good photograph.

plese help me

if you want to set the values yourself, there will probably be some Tv Av M settings or similar at the top which allow you to choose shutter speed and the camera work out the paerture and vice versa where you choose the aperture and it selects an appropriate shutter speed for you. Manual is where you have complete control over both, but you have to be careful and know what you are doing otherwise you will get a poorly exposed shot.

I am thnkful for the quick reply.
I do have the manual but it does not discuss scientific
aspects in detail.

I know their are priority modes: you chosse the aperture camera will fix speed etc. I still want to know the following things:

1. As I know when we rotate the focus ring then focal distance of the camera get changed. I want to know in the case when auto focus is used we do not see the ring rotating then how does the camera focus itself.

2. As I know no matter what you select you always need to rotate the aperture ring. In principle you minimize the aperature (very small f number) and everthing in the field of view will be sharp and you maximize it only a single point will be in focus. I want to know should I beleive on the numbers which camera shows on viewfinder or should I believe on what I view through viewfinder ?

bye

1) No idea, just accept that it works

2) Some cameras have a Depth of Field focus button which allows you to see what parts will be in focus at a given aperture setting. Also Its a large f stop number that will give an extensive DOF and a small number which gives a shallow depth of field.

Hope this helps.

Portrait mode is going to open up the aperture causing a shallow DOF. Landscape mode is going to try to use a closed down aperture to give you maximum DOF. Sports or action mode gives you a high shutter speed. Panning mode gives a slower than normal shutter speed. Night mode combines a flash with a very slow shutter speed.

Many cameras will place the shutter speed at a "safe" speed for hand holding when in any auto mode (obviously not including night scene or panning modes), so if you have your camera loaded with slow film on a dark day, and you choose landscape mode, it may not give the DOF you expect. If you have high speed film in your camera on a bright day, it may not be able to open the aperture up as much as you may expect when choosing portrait mode.

Some cameras have a DOF preview switch that allows you to see the effects of the aperture before you take the pic. This is a simple feature, but they don't like to offer it in entry level cameras; they need to give you reasons to buy a more expensive model.

The lens is autofocused by a motor, usually in the camera body. There is a switch on the body that disengages this motor for manual focusing. You will notice that the in viewfinder AF indicator still works. Switching off AF only keeps the lens from focusing by itself; the IR beams, or whatever they are using are still functioning. Trying to manual focus while still in AF is bad for the AF motor; you will feel some resistance. Always switch it to manual focus if you are going to twist the focus ring. I don't know why exactly the focus ring doesn't turn, but I'm sure it's something like how you can pedal backwards (or not at all) when coasting on a bike; it's just the way they gear it. Less effort for the AF motor..

Whether the focus ring on the barrel of the lens rotates during autofocus depends on the make/model. Some models, during autofocus, disengage the focus ring on the barrel.

When you look through the viewfinder what you see is not necessarily what you get. Most modern lenses are "automatic" meaning you view with the lens wide open. The lens closes down to the f/stop selected when the shutter release button is depressed. In order to see the DOF you need to press the DOF Button which then stops down to the f/stop you have selected. This also reduces the amount of light entering the viewfinder.

hi,
Firstly I would like to thank all of you.

I have a SLR so I hape to give my role to some color
lab, to get the photographs printed. Now the questions is

1. Are the colors which we see in photographs are controlled by photographer or by lab people.

I got processed my photographs by a lab of repute and
I got excellent colors. In second time I gave my
role to same lab but colors were not so great.

2. Can somebody suggest me which is the best photo film
in market. I haven't found the answer for this question
anywhere.

3. When we use camera in manual focus mode, we can easily see that it is zooming but in the auto focus mode
we do not see it happening.

I will be verty thankful if somebody who has
Nikon F55/f55D can answer my questions.

bye

picsboy said:
1. Are the colors which we see in photographs are controlled by photographer or by lab people.

2. Can somebody suggest me which is the best photo film
in market. I haven't found the answer for this question
anywhere.

3. When we use camera in manual focus mode, we can easily see that it is zooming but in the auto focus mode
we do not see it happening.

1. Somewhat by the choices made by the photographer (film brand/type, exposure), but it is mostly controlled by the person doing the printing. If you want to match previously printed photographs you need to supply the lab with guide prints to try and match. They won't always be able to match them 100%, but they can get very close.

2. There is no best film. That's like asking what is the best car, or food? It's opinion, and will depend on you and how and what you are shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back