Battery Consumption

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by gundy74, Jul 17, 2006.

1. gundy74

gundy74 TPF Noob!

Can a DSLR with a small LCD screen (shutter, aperture, shots remaining, etc.) be left on for extended periods without draining the battery?

2. V.Alonso

V.Alonso TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i have left my d50 on over night accidentally (about 9 or 10 hours) and i used it the entire day after, but i didnt use it much the day before eigther

what happens to my camera is that it dose not display aperature or shutter speed after left on for a long time, but once you move the lens, or press on the shutter release it comes back up...

HTH

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My camera (Canon 20D)has an Auto-Off feature. If there is no input (no button's pressed) then it shuts itself off. I have it set to one or two minutes.
    The turn on is practically instant so I don't have to wait for it to turn back on.

I assume that most digital cameras would have a similar feature.

As for your question...I suppose it would use up some of the battery...but I have no idea if it would completely drain it. I doubt that it would.

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The same applies to the 350D.
    I hardly ever use the official OFF-switch but for long periods have the camera "off" on auto-off (while the switch remains on ON), and I can do with one battery for a week and about 1 GB+ of pics, all the same.

5. 964

964 TPF Noob!

1 GB is like 90 shots to anyone who shoots RAW...:mrgreen:

I have shot about 1200 shots on mine and shown some images on the screen to others as well as some minor editing and the battery pack still reads full on the camera. Mind you, it should last a long time because it is the size (and weight) of a frikking gold ingot!:lol:

6. whardman

whardman TPF Noob!

Just don't leave it plugged into the computer for too long though. It will drain the battery in less than an hour! :shock: I found that out the hard way. :confused:

7. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    While I cannot speak for other cameras my d70s can go forever before the battery needs recharging (why did I buy an extra =p). The only times it seems like I use any power is when I plug the camera into the computer as opposed to using a usb CF card reader. That will drain the juice... other then that I think I recall seeing that a single battery charge should be good for 600+ photos on a d70s.