I think I bought the wrong camera

Jim C.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been using SLR's and DSLR's for many years and enjoy doing walk around photography. But age and ailments have taken their toll and I need a cane to remain upright. I find that carrying around a DSLR is too cumbersome. I decided to purchase a compact camera with a zoom lens. Price was a major concern as was size. Without enough research I purchased a Canon ELPH 360, because of the zoon length and the WIFI compatibility. I think I made a mistake, and I knew the shortcomings going in. First, I miss a view finder, second, the lens is too slow and is variable and real slow fully zoomed and last I like to shoot aperture priority and with this camera I have no control. Ok so the camera takes brilliant photos I have ISO set on auto and even at night zoomed out there is no noise. As an old guy with some experience, I think a camera should look like a camera and feel like a camera. This Canon misses the mark in my opinion. I purchased this camera directly from Canon online, I bought a 32 gb hs card and it came with a battery charger for a bit over $200. bucks. I now think I want a true range finder camera with manual controls and a zoom ring. So that's my rant about a perfectly good and nice camera. Question is have any of you made a mistake like this? Did you get past it and learn to love the camera?

can't say i've ever bought the wrong camera, but i have been disappointed in a few lenses. i hate any camera that makes me use menus to control the image.

if you're in the market to get another camera system, check out fuji's x series cameras. i'm partial to the xt series, but the pro series is more like a rangefinder and has an optical viewfinder. they're small, lightweight & cheap interchangeable lens mirrorless bodies for with (for the most part) aperture rings on the lenses, shutter speed, iso and ev dials. af is good, but not the best and they have a decent line up of lenses.

• Agree
Reactions: cgw
A p&s like the ELPH just isn't able to deliver what you want. Slow variable-aperture zooms typically fitted to such cameras are not that adaptable to the range of shooting situations Canon promises. What you want will cost a bit more. Something like the Fuji X-100(S or T) might be closer to what you're after. The Fuji X-T1 is another possibility. Very film SLR-like with dials for most adjustments rather than menus. Fuji lenses are first-rate. The 18-55 2.8/4 that was the "kit" lens with many of their cameras is superb. More money, true; but also more camera that just might be worth it, given your preferences and experience.

I bought a Cannon Powershot for work travel, nice camera and takes good quality shots, but, I too miss the view finder and other features of a “real” camera.

I just keep reminding myself why I got it, small pocket camera with excellent glass and AI for times when I just can’t take my DSLR bag along.

The 360 elph is in the Power shot camera line up. It is a good camera and works really well. Obviously I am missing the manual options I enjoy with my DSLR. The lens is painfully slow and of course I have sharp depth of field, that I don't always want.

First you really need to decide on your acceptable limitations (camera/physical) then match the camera. We all get older and myself I find that I've had to accept some less than ideal things because of my age.

I have full frames and crop sensors plus a wide selection of glass. They are first choice when top quality work is required. I also have a Canon power shot and cell phone. When I'm traveling/walking they go in my pocket, because I'd rather enjoy the moment than lug around equipment.

You are correct. I may be rebellious of physical limitations. At 83 years old with some health issues just carrying a DSLR and a cane is a burden I resent. The compact camera didn't fix me.

You are correct. I may be rebellious of physical limitations. At 83 years old with some health issues just carrying a DSLR and a cane is a burden I resent. The compact camera didn't fix me.

I'm 10 yrs behind you, with arthritis in the hips and hands, bad knees that don't work well, and asthma. If I'm at location that I can't drive up to my gear of choice is a K3ii with 18-135 lens that weighs right at 2.5 lbs. Instead of a tripod I carry a Manfrotto collapsible monopod, which doubles as walking stick when needed.

The point I'm making is you make the best of any situation. After the last trip to Disney in January, I'm already thinking ahead about brackets/camera accessories/bags for walkers or electric scooters, for the next trip. 😅

In my opinion, the Canon Elph 360 is no better than a newer cell phone. That is why that part of the point and shoot market is dying. The best point and shoot I ever had was a Nikon S9900, which was 30X and had PASM shooting controls. It took great pictures, but I killed it due to a stupid charging mistake. My mistake was buying a Panasonic Lumix ZS100 for travel. It has a 1' sensor and full PASM shooting modes. While it has good features, I can only occasionally get a good photo from it. It is relegated to my work camera where I don't need quality shots. I am getting up there in age also and recently switched to an Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mk III with a 14-150 mm lens. It reduced my kit weight by about 2.5 pounds and so far is taking great images.

Dunfly, I think you're a little harsh, LOL. Actually the Elph has a large sensor and a good although slow lens. The only fault it really has for me is the lack of PASM control and the power zoom . I bought this camera too quick and put too much emphasis on price. $239.00. Canon and Fugifilm both make compact cameras that I think would satisfy my needs. But they are a lot more money. I think I am going to have to learn to love this camera.
BTW I used to shoot high end Minolta SLR film cameras. When I went digital Minolta was gone so I went to Nikon and didn't like them. Now I do. I think this ELPH is a good camera the problem is probably me.

I have been using SLR's and DSLR's for many years and enjoy doing walk around photography. But age and ailments have taken their toll and I need a cane to remain upright. I find that carrying around a DSLR is too cumbersome. I decided to purchase a compact camera with a zoom lens. Price was a major concern as was size. Without enough research I purchased a Canon ELPH 360, because of the zoon length and the WIFI compatibility. I think I made a mistake, and I knew the shortcomings going in. First, I miss a view finder, second, the lens is too slow and is variable and real slow fully zoomed and last I like to shoot aperture priority and with this camera I have no control. Ok so the camera takes brilliant photos I have ISO set on auto and even at night zoomed out there is no noise. As an old guy with some experience, I think a camera should look like a camera and feel like a camera. This Canon misses the mark in my opinion. I purchased this camera directly from Canon online, I bought a 32 gb hs card and it came with a battery charger for a bit over $200. bucks. I now think I want a true range finder camera with manual controls and a zoom ring. So that's my rant about a perfectly good and nice camera. Question is have any of you made a mistake like this? Did you get past it and learn to love the camera?

I use a cane too. I feel I am too young for one and it is a pita to try and take a shot using the cane to hold me steady while I raise the camera. I switched to mirrorless because the DSLR became too heavy, and I have essential tremors and I needed the IBIS. I am very happy with the change. My regret is remaining loyal to my old brand. Sony or Fuji would have been a better fit. I stuck with Nikon because that has been traditionally what I have used and I wanted the FTZ and the ability to hang on to my old lenses. Now I am finding the old lenses too heavy and have started to buy smaller lighter lenses for the Z system. I also have started using my iPhone SE, more and more.

Jim,

I have had similar health conditions. Several years ago I researched all I could and ended up purchasing a Sony RX100 VII. Solved my problems and quality is excellent. Sold my Nikon lenses and DSLR's. No regrets. Check it out.

I love rangefinders... I got a digital Ricoh that's compatible with some film rangefinders so I can use the same lenses (M mount) with both, but the Ricoh isn't being made anymore.

Not sure what camera would be a better option but if you find something else you could look into selling this one to Adorama or KEH. Or see what they have, maybe used? They both sell film and digital cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back