Battery Grip?

Willieboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the value of a battery grip? Does it provide more time between charges?

What is the value of a battery grip?

Allows shooting in portrait orientation without forcing your right elbow up into the air. Better grip on the camera for those with large hands. Chick magnet.

Does it provide more time between charges?

Usually. There are some lo-end grips that simply replace the in-camera battery.

Chick Magnet for sure :) also helps balance out longer lenses. Depends on the camera. On the lower end nikons, it generally allows 2 batteries to be in the grip and some allow IR remote compatibility. On higher end like the D300 and others, it actually allows the camera to go from 6 fps to 8 fps because it has a special battery that is 11 volts instead of 7 volts...

Thanks guys.

I have a new D5100 and was surprised at how soon I had to recharge the battery. I will adjust the brightness on the monitor and hope that helps some. I never thought my hands were large but I sure could use some extra real estate on this camera that does not have a button or wheel on it. As it is, I have trouble holding the camera securely without pushing one button or another.

Do note that there is no Nikon branded grip for the D5100.

get one, you wont go back!

battery grips turn your consumer DSLR into a Pro DSLR...
they are also useful if you do any shooting in portrait orientation, and provide more balance if you have a longer lens on the camera.
if your grip has spots for 2 batteries, it doubles camera usage.
and for the guys, it lets the ladies know that you are packing some serious firepower. (and a big camera too)

This is the most popular brand for the D5100. Note that the Neewer brand is actually Meike and other brands seems to be rebranded Meike grips. Also make sure you get the grip for the D5100 and not for the D3100. Though it will fit, the edges are not fully contoured to the edges of the D5100 because of the reticulating screen. So make sure you do get one for the D5100.

Amazon.com: Neweer Pro Battery Grip for Nikon D5100 EN-EL14 DSLR Camera: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just got this for my D5100:

Amazon.com: Aputure Battery Vertical Grip BP-D5100 for Nikon D5100, Multi Power Battery Pack: Camera & Photo

It definitely makes the camera feel better in my hands and gives me a better grip. Most (all?) battery grips for the D5100 need a cable on the side to use the 2nd shutter release on the battery grip. I rarely take portrait shots so I won't be using the cable (included). The shutter release is a 2 stage for focus and shutter release on this model. The only thing I have issue with is the knob to screw the grip onto the camera. It's flush in the back of the camera but it sticks out more than it should in the front, getting in the way if you do use it for portrait shots (the tips of my finger rest on it when I grip it that way). It'll work with 1 or 2 batteries installed. The finish is a bit lighter than the D5100 body but the texture is almost the same.

Overall, I'm very happy with it as it makes holding the camera much more comfortable.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a battery grip (Zeikos brand) on my D90 to help it better balance with my 70-200 VRII. The vertical shutter release is a nice bonus as well! I've never had an issue though with the battery life so I usually only use one battery at a time anyway. I don't use a grip on D700 though as it's heavy enough to balance with my larger lenses as-is.

Most reactions

Back