Blackpool Street Portrait

Black_Square

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

I captured these images a while ago. I remember this gentleman being very happy to have a chat, and pleased to have his photo taken which is always nice.

I’ve edited the photos on my new Benq monitor which is a great bit of kit. Editing images in 4K HDR is an absolute dream! I’m still getting to grips with the colour profiles but I’m happy with the results.

For these images I spent quite a bit of time editing them to maximise their full dynamic range and to also make them pop with a 3D look. I think it worked but would welcome any feedback as I’m still getting to grips with the new display.

Thanks for looking :)

53416301929_201c463ff0_h.jpg

53415977376_80d87c4b4b_h.jpg

Last edited:
As always your camera, lighting and editing techniques are superb at bringing out the realism of the individual. The only niggle I have is on my screen they seem just a tad underexposed and the Whites a little choked, resulting in a slight grayish skin tone. As this seems to be a common theme, it may be a personal preference and if so then disregard my comment.

As always your camera, lighting and editing techniques are superb at bringing out the realism of the individual. The only niggle I have is on my screen they seem just a tad underexposed and the Whites a little choked, resulting in a slight grayish skin tone. As this seems to be a common theme, it may be a personal preference and if so then disregard my comment.

I think you’re right. I’ve been editing on the monitor profile which looks more natural but when switching to its adobe rgb profile it’s slightly more gray. The joy of new toys!

The joy of new toys!

Feel your pain I just bought a devices new computer and monitor. It's been a PITA reinstalling software and transferring files.

The Benq monitor is good, better than my Samsung, but for the images you share, your color profile needs to match the profile your viewers will be looking at in. For JPEGS posted on the web I use the sRGB v4 ICC and soft proof in LR. That seems to give the best image on multiple device platforms. A quick check on an Android tablet gives me a feel for how close I am, or if I need to tweak it in soft proof. It always amazes me at how different the soft proof image can look on my screen next to the original until I post it to the web and view on another device.

For prints my lab supplies the profile for their product, again soft proof. Keeps the out of gamut colors from running together, with a corresponding loss of details.

Last edited:
Feel your pain I just bought a devices new computer and monitor. It's been a PITA reinstalling software and transferring files.

For JPEGS posted on the web I use the sRGB v4 ICC and soft proof in LR. That seems to give the best image on multiple device platforms. A quick check on an Android tablet gives me a feel for how close I am.

For prints my lab supplies the profile for their product, again soft proof. Keeps the out of gamut colors from running together, with a corresponding loss of details.
Hi Smoke, figured out where I went wrong. I had actually edited my images in the monitor's colour profile. It's quite a clever bit of kit. The monitor hardware is already calibrated and has something like 99% adobe sRGB gamut. With a flick of a button it will switch between the wide gamut monitor profile, aRGB and my Mac profile. So, in the wide gamut monitor profile the colours looked right, but then washed out in the sRGB profile. As clever as all of the tech is, it's obviously a little too easy to switch into the wrong profile!

I believe I have corrected the images now, so have included them in the original post!

I believe I have corrected the images now, so have included them in the original post!

The facial skin has a more ruddy appearance now, more what I'd expect from someone outside in the cold. Did you leave the snot running down the upper lip for realism??? LOL I didn't catch it the first time I looked at it, I could go either way, it's a part of life. :chuncky:

The facial skin has a more ruddy appearance now, more what I'd expect from someone outside in the cold. Did you leave the snot running down the upper lip for realism??? LOL I didn't catch it the first time I looked at it, I could go either way, it's a part of life. :chuncky:
Yes, the colour rendition is far more accurate to the original file now. Regarding the snot, I actually have a custom brush I use for this effect ;-)

IMO certainly succeeded with the 3d goal, the effect is quite strong especially with the background through the glass/frames behind him set against the stromg detail of all the foreground :encouragement:

IMO certainly succeeded with the 3d goal, the effect is quite strong especially with the background through the glass/frames behind him set against the stromg detail of all the foreground :encouragement:

Thanks Wobe. I’m pleased the effect is noticeable. Cheers 👍🏻

Most reactions

New Topics

Back