beach suggestions?

antipimp86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going to be shooting some beach scenes of surfers and whatnot, any suggestions as to what type of lens or funky filter i should use?

As far as a lens goes, if you want to be able to fill almost all of the frame with your subjects, are are going to want to get a 500mm lens. If you have a budget, my best suggestion would be the Sigma APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG/HSM. It comes in both a digital and non digital model. The lens runs about $900.00 US dollars. I have it and love it. I am not a big sigma fan but for this telephoto lens, I had to be because I could not afford Nikon. It's fast enough for a bright day on the beach. It does use a 86Cmm filter. The C in the filter size is for COARSE meaning it does not use a standard thread so you have to be sure to get a course. The reason for the C thread is when filters get up to 86mm like this one, it's easy to cross thread the filter when putting it on and runing either the filter thread or the lens thread so this prevents this. As a few others said, you will want a polarizer for these shots as well. I am going to say a polarizer is not even an option, it's a must have for this situation.

You can see some sample surfer shots here of this lens.

Hope this helps.

Scott

If you let us know a specific camera body that you're gonna use and a budget, then we can recommend a specific model.

Canon EOS Elan. No specific budget, just looking for general ideas for the moment. But cheaper is better. Especially since I just started a photogrphy class.

You hardly need that lens, but a good telephoto with a fast aperture would be ideal. That's a very nice lens, but its quite a bit up there, even for sigma.

By the way, if you are doing any portraits or headshots of the guys off the water, please for the sake of god, use a flash. Especially in the early afternoon. The shots look infinitely better.

57%_Burnt said:
You hardly need that lens, but a good telephoto with a fast aperture would be ideal. That's a very nice lens, but its quite a bit up there, even for sigma.

I agree, except for the bit about it being nice! :greenpbl: It's not cheap either for what it is: a narrow aperture long zoom lens.

Rob

Most reactions

Back