Beautiful moon tonight but I couldn't get it with my Sony Cybershot

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi.

Know nothing really about photography (but am interested) and on my way home tonight I noticed a beautiful (half) moon and wanted to capture it with my Sony Cybershot (dsc h20 I think), but all I get is a bright spot with no detail whatsover. So basically I just got a black sky and what looks like a light bulb, I'm not getting what my own eyes see. I tried raising an lowering the ISO to no avail and even put the camera on EASY mode, but still the same thing. Is this just cause this is a crap camera? I'm gonna be getting into a DSLR soon.

Just read it before reading your reply, but it doesn't say anything about doing it with a "point and shoot". I assume it's not possible, but my Cybershot has a 38-380 lens. Is it possible with a cheap camera like what I've got?

Hmmm ... I looked up "cybershot moon photo" in google and see that someone got a pretty good shot with an hx9v Cybershot.

http://imgfave.com/search/sony cyber-shot dsc-hx9v

He actually does mention P&S. try following his suggestion of setting it in manual mode.

Those settings suggested in the article will do the job as long as you can apply them to your camera. A shortcut is to use exposure compensation to underexpose the photo by a couple of stops, it's not a reliable technique though.

If you want a photo of the moon with your zoom racked out you will need a tripod.

Most reactions

Back