Shooting the moon with two cameras

misterjones

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tonight we had really clear skies so I decided to try my hand at taking shots of the moon. I brought out two of my cameras for this one to see how they did side-by-side (I have not cropped these pics at all)

First up my Canon Eos Rebel XSi. I used my Canon EF 75-300 lens with it as it's the longest one I have. Shot this with an aperture of 1/60, f/11, and iso 100 using manual focus and shot as RAW (which the camera forced on me)

IMG_0304lq.jpg

The next one I used my Fujitu FinePix S4500 bridge camera. Lens was all the way out at it's 720mm equivalent, aperture at 1/60, f/8, iso 100. There's no option for manual focus on this thing.

DSCF2204.JPG

The first thing you notice is the color: The Canon shot it with a blueish tint, the Finepix is grayish. Compared to what I saw in the sky, the Finepix has more accurate color, but why? That's what I'm trying to figure out here. Why did the Rebel give it a blueish hue? That's not at all what I saw in the viewfinder. I will say that even though the Canon lens doesn't get out as far, I think it was much sharper, possibly due to being able to focus it manually.

Any tips would be welcome here.

First thing that jumped to mind for me was the WB, check the file details from Fuji and see what it selected.

I could be wrong but I think a WB of 3200 would cause the camera to add blue. For some reason I have it in my head most cameras try to adjust to 5000K, but I could be totally wrong on that.

I'll try it again tonight but I'll change white balance to Auto and see what it does

Having done quite a lot of moon shots.
Shoot in B&W the grain can be lost where as coloured specks are harder to loose
Focus in M mode not auto Canon will hunt in low light. Have a lens cloth at the ready at all times to clean the front element
When done for the evening place camera kit in a cool room and allow back up to temp slowly otherwise you can get condensation in the class and camera body.

So I went out last night and set the WB to Auto and this is what I got.

IMG_0317.jpg

Manual focus, just like the other day, but I couldn't quite focus as well. Ultimately I need a lens that goes out to 400mm or 500mm lens to get more detail without resorting to a telescope.

Last edited:
Think about shooting the moon as if it were a day time shot. The shutter speed should be much higher say around 300-400 with a low ISO. The aperture can be set to your taste. The moon is reflecting the sunlight so, a low shutter speed is not necessary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back