Been awhile since Ive been here.... but I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MyaLover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I got a new set of strobes (well my first set!) they fire great... only when my on camera flash (or my speedlite) is covered. They seem to not fire when my flash fires too. Is this normal and is there a way to remedy it? I have a canon digital rebel btw

ok now its not working at all... with or without my flash covered.... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! soooooooooooooooooooooo frustrated!!

how are the strobes connected to the camera/how do you set them off?

they have a built in sensor on the strobes. and since im a complete strobe virgin, i dont know what a pocket wizard is :)

If i dont cover my flash and the strobes fire, the pic is dark, like the flash was the only thing on. even though i see the strobes firing. but sometimes ill get a pic where the strobes have clearly fired. I need laments terms here

Would it be your camera fired the pre-flash and that triggered your strobes before the photo was taken?
Is there anyway you can disable the pre-flash to make sure that is not the case?

I would suggest you not use the on board flash at all :)

Instead use a cord to connect the camera to the strobes or purchase a remote transmitter and receiver. The transmitter sits on the camera's hot shoe and the receiver plugs into the strobe.

Here's an affordable source, check for the model that will fit your camera.

Gadget Infinity

Then you shoot in manual mode, set your shutter speed to your camera's flash sync speed, probably ~1/200. Then you balance the light between strobe power and f value.

Cheers, Don

Yep, I bet your stobes are firing when your pre-flash fires. Use a cord to one of the stobes and let the others fire through their optical slave.

I agree, it sounds like the on-camera flash is firing a pre-flash, which triggers the strobes prematurely. If you can set your flash to manual, that should fix it...but I agree that not using it at all, is a better option.

Either use a cord or a wireless radio trigger.

This is actually a fairly common mistake for strobe virgins. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back