Beginner attempt at home studio -

JeremyD

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and was curios on attempting to make a mini studio. I want to do a 3 point light set up however my lights are too powerful (Even with diffusers). So I have one light with a reflector. I know constant lights are not ideal, and as of now I have ordered YN-560 flash and wireless trigger/receivers ordered, as well a lightstand, and three umbrellas. Untill then this will have to do. Do you guys have any tips for beginners making their own home made studios? Im just experimenting at this moment and having a blast at it. Here are some test shots:

The mini studio:
8452641906_2017033fa9.jpg
[/url]
IMG_6334 by AllianceMediaProdt., on Flickr[/IMG]

8451550761_85189842ea.jpg
[/url]
IMG_6315 by AllianceMediaProdt., on Flickr [/IMG]
8451551219_558bebfe44.jpg
[/url]
IMG_6336 by AllianceMediaProdt., on Flickr[/IMG]

These shots were just testing shots, there not the greatest however I am just starting out. So any tips for studio lighting and what I could use for cheap would be wicked or just feedback that would be great! Thanks.

Having your subject a little further from the background would help the creases in the third. There' nothing wrong with using constant lighting with still life subjects in a situation like this where you don't need more power to fight with nautral light. And it's a lot easier to see where the shadows etc are going to be than when using a strobe without a fulltime modeling bulb. Looks like you're using a floodlight? The main issue with that is that you can't turn it up and down to change ratio when using more than 1, but you could move them closer and further away to change the intensity - you'll make it 1/4 as bright each time you double the distance.

The reflector won't really change the light per say, it will only reflect the harsh light. The shadows on the flower are bold, which suggest tha the light is not being diffused at all.

For less than $70-100 you can get a static lighting softbox kit from ebaythat will look very very different than this. I'm not suggesting cheap ebay stuff as a go-to source for gear, but if you're still in the experimenting phase, it's great. And my personal suggestion, get a softbox, not an umbrella.

​Good luck!!

Does that reflector have a diffusion panel inside it? If so you could try putting the light through that. Ok, it won't be as good as softbox, but it' something you could try straight away for free.

^^^ great photo. great tip too :)

Great tips thanks alot, Ill for sure try out some of your suggestions.

Try to send the light through a white bedsheet or sock; that lighting is very harsh.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back