Beginner Thinking about Upgrading...

keithw1975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I come from a long line of printers and have grown up around film, darkrooms, and now digital imaging. Graphic arts and photography have always been interests of mine but growing up I never made the time to really get involved in the photography end of things more than taking lots of pictures with P&S cameras. My newest camera is a Powershot SX10 IS and I absolutely love the camera but feel overwhelmed when it comes to using manual. I am doing lots of reading online and trying to understand how everything should be set. I have a basic knowledge of what the ISO, aperature and shutter speed are but knowing how to use them along with white balance seems like it is something that will take a long time to get right. I have decided to dive in though and try to get proficient at sooner but most likely later. I have always had a fascination with night scenes and I am thinking about buying another camera in the next few months in order to have access to long shutter speeds. The Canon T2i is what I had been thinking of getting and it will be my first SLR. I don't have a ton of money for lenses though so I am going to really miss not having my 20x zoom like the SX10 because I use it quite a bit. I guess though that no single camera is good for everything.

I realize I have just kinda rambled on but it is very late and I am very tired and I welcome anyone to give me any advice or thoughts on what I might want to purchase or what the best way to learn is because reading is fine and dandy but nothing beats hands on experience so I always end up reading about settings while holding my camera in my lap and playing with the buttons.

That camera is a good choice (even though I shoot with a Nikon) If you get the lowest entry camera you will regret it. I bought a D60 (btw it's a great camera) but with some of the things I want to do, it's lacking the features I want.

To save yourself a lot of money and time in the future. Don't get the base level camera. Get the EOS Rebel T2i.
If you can get a 18-200mm lens.

(Canon shooters correct me if I'm wrong. I am assuming the EOS T2i is the equivalent to the Nikon D90)

(Canon shooters correct me if I'm wrong. I am assuming the EOS T2i is the equivalent to the Nikon D90)

Well the T2i takes better video and people don't scowl at you when they see you carrying it around...

Just kidding. Well, not about the video part.

To OP:
If you're gonna drop a grand on a camera PLEASE go to a BestBuy or something and get your hands on one, play with it... look through the viewfinder. The viewfinder is kinda small on the T2i - compared to say, a canon 50D. Little things like that may surprise you and might have a lot to do with your purchase choice. Basically, do your homework (other than asking for opinions here) and get what best suits you.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Back