Beginner with a Job?!

UbiquitousJustin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, everyone!
This upcoming weekend I am going to staff a camp/retreat for the University I attend. Every year the staff heads pick a staff member to be the photographer for the weekend. However, the usual photographer fell ill and will not be able to attend. Thus, since I, being the only one with a decent camera, was unanimously nominated for the job. I am super excited to do it, as well as super anxious that I will not produce good photos. eeck!

The camera I will be using is a Canon EOS Rebel SL1. The question here is rather a plea for tips. Does anyone have any tips for me to produce decent pictures? Keep in mind, that this is a camp, and there will be movement among the campers.

Thank you in advanced. I look forward to your share of knowledge. :)

Cant give any tips without you telling us what you want to achieve. You should also let us know what lenses you have.

More information on the event (times, venue types, location), as well as goals and equipment. At the end of the day, if you slam it in 'Auto' and shoot, you will get something.

.. there will be movement among the campers.
You'll just have to move quicker.

Anticipate where something will happen, and get yourself into position quickly. Frame tight groups of two or three people. Get tight on their faces while they are engaged in some activity. Try to get every important activity in some way. If you have any spare time, get something unique to the camp, such as a sign, a building, some flowers that everyone will recognize and remember having seen it.

If it were me, I'd just flat skip the flat, posed, group shots, but that's me.

Go have a look at what was produced before in previous Camp trips and if possible ask the regular photographer/staff member who went what they did and their experiences etc... That should give you some clear ideas as to the expectations of those asking you to do this and if the staff member can talk to you about it that might give you some hints/ideas to work with.

I completely agree that you need to see what previous year's photos have looked like to decide what kind of output is expected. Start there.

Best thing you can do when you're new at something is to KISS it -- Keep It Simple Stupid. Follow the path that the previous year's photographers have created and you'll probably end up with results that keep everyone happy.

Choose one lens, make it your speediest. Have a way to comfortably and safely carry your camera everywhere that campers need to be photographed, think about hiking, kayaking, rain, etc. etc. (waterproofing can be as simple as stuffing the camera in a ziplock bag). Be sure you have more than adequate battery life and memory and a safe way to carry those too.

Stick with basic settings and try to avoid the flash as much as is humanly possible.

Take twice as many shots as you think you'll need. Don't forget to shoot the mundane stuff like group dinners or arrival/departure.

Don't know your photography skills so would say put the camera in Auto, get spare batteries and a charger, plenty of memory cards and take as many pictures as you can with as many of the kids in them as humanly possible. Also pictures of the camp itself and get shots of kids participating in all the activities.
Take a backup camera also.
Your job is to document the camp experience for these kids and their parents. If there is time for great photographs go for it but the documentation is the important part.

Most reactions

Back