bench

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by JonMikal, Jun 6, 2005.

1. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

incredibly simple but here's another i'm on the fence with. if the stained area above the bench wan't present i would not have taken this, but i think it adds and gives reason for including the space. i wish the bench had been old and wooden, but not sure if it would make that much a difference. oh well, let me know what you think.

taken at a the smithsonian scuptures park adjacent to the mall. (mall: open court area between the capital and washington monument)

[​IMG]

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Its a bit interesting, but doesn't do too much for me. It actually reminds me of something you'd see in a place with home furnishings like Ikea. They have some framed art that is sort of general decorating type items and I have seem images that were somewhat similar. I can't say that I see anything wrong with it or that I would suggest doing anything different, however the subject just doesn't do enough for me.

Doubt that was much help...:lol:

3. saddog

saddog TPF Noob!

interesting, wouldn't it be novel to have one piece of color, maybe a candy bar wrapper?

4. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Although beautifully shot, it just doesn't, IMO, have that Jon Mikal pizzaz.

5. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

;) thanks

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

The elements are there. Nice textures and a lot of tonal values. I think the problem is that the bench is too close to the background. Considering that the bench is not screwed to the ground: Moving the subject closer to the lens will allow you a sharp shot and separation from the dreaded "blends into background".

Oh yeah; WHY IS THIS SHOT VERICAL!!! We see the world horizontally; so why kill your shot!!! Jokingily of course; you know I have to give you a hard time.

7. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sit one of your street musicans on that bench and you'd have a remarkable image.

8. binglemybongle

binglemybongle TPF Noob!

This possibly doesnt pass as critique but....

I really like it. I would have tried (tried being the operative word here) for the same result. I see the idea being more about the tones and form more than a about a subject.

Personally i think some of the most interesting shots can be of no discernable object or subject at all and ONLY about the relation of textures and tones.

9. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A strong and succesful graphic image. Though everything is immediately recognizable, it borders on abstract. Whatever initially attracted your senses - textures, tones or compositional elegance - everything works together to make a pleasing image to linger over.

Tuna

10. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

thank you Tuna!

11. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great! Love that it is vertical. It is probably my monitor, but I would seek for more 'punch'.

-Is this an in-camera crop?
    -Did this view stop you and made you capture it right there?
    Or is this something that you see daily, kept observing, gradually fell in love ...?

Just wanted to know what was going through your head! :)

12. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

-i rarely if ever post crop which may be a bad thing
    -in my 50 years i never ventured into this park prior to this day and have never returned

i have tried to explain what goes through my head on many occasions regarding photography and me, but never feel i adequately succeed. with the exception of one or two attempts, i never plan any shot. i was just talking with my wife tonight about this. i can't explain what process i go through because there is none. i can be walking, turn my head and in a split second i see a composed, cropped image screaming at me. if you check my website, 99.9% of the images were taken like this. i just see stuff and take it. i have had no training or taken any courses or read any books on photography, which makes me feel completely inadequate when trying to critique others work here. i mean i read comments like Hertz, you, Tuna, Chase, et al leave and have generally no clue much what you're talking about...to a degree some, but for the most part im lost. now you ask how can i monitor this section and the photo gallery? :lmao: easy, im an administrator by profession; i just enforce the rules and make people feel all warm inside ;). but seriously, you asked the wrong guy what goes on in their head when shooting a pic. when im clicking the button, im more than likely thinking about my work, one of my children or on which corner is the nearest hot dog stand. sorry i bored you and yep, i still didn't quite explain that i don't think about photography at all. thats not true; i do think about it when i convert to b&w and create borders.