bench

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
incredibly simple but here's another i'm on the fence with. if the stained area above the bench wan't present i would not have taken this, but i think it adds and gives reason for including the space. i wish the bench had been old and wooden, but not sure if it would make that much a difference. oh well, let me know what you think.

taken at a the smithsonian scuptures park adjacent to the mall. (mall: open court area between the capital and washington monument)

22551068-L.jpg

Its a bit interesting, but doesn't do too much for me. It actually reminds me of something you'd see in a place with home furnishings like Ikea. They have some framed art that is sort of general decorating type items and I have seem images that were somewhat similar. I can't say that I see anything wrong with it or that I would suggest doing anything different, however the subject just doesn't do enough for me.

Doubt that was much help...:lol:

interesting, wouldn't it be novel to have one piece of color, maybe a candy bar wrapper?

The elements are there. Nice textures and a lot of tonal values. I think the problem is that the bench is too close to the background. Considering that the bench is not screwed to the ground: Moving the subject closer to the lens will allow you a sharp shot and separation from the dreaded "blends into background".

Oh yeah; WHY IS THIS SHOT VERICAL!!! We see the world horizontally; so why kill your shot!!! Jokingily of course; you know I have to give you a hard time.

This possibly doesnt pass as critique but....

I really like it. I would have tried (tried being the operative word here) for the same result. I see the idea being more about the tones and form more than a about a subject.

Personally i think some of the most interesting shots can be of no discernable object or subject at all and ONLY about the relation of textures and tones.

A strong and succesful graphic image. Though everything is immediately recognizable, it borders on abstract. Whatever initially attracted your senses - textures, tones or compositional elegance - everything works together to make a pleasing image to linger over.

Tuna

Great! Love that it is vertical. It is probably my monitor, but I would seek for more 'punch'.

-Is this an in-camera crop?
-Did this view stop you and made you capture it right there?
Or is this something that you see daily, kept observing, gradually fell in love ...?

Just wanted to know what was going through your head! :)

danalec99 said:
Great! Love that it is vertical. It is probably my monitor, but I would seek for more 'punch'.

-Is this an in-camera crop?
-Did this view stop you and made you capture it right there?
Or is this something that you see daily, kept observing, gradually fell in love ...?

Just wanted to know what was going through your head! :)

-i rarely if ever post crop which may be a bad thing
-in my 50 years i never ventured into this park prior to this day and have never returned

i have tried to explain what goes through my head on many occasions regarding photography and me, but never feel i adequately succeed. with the exception of one or two attempts, i never plan any shot. i was just talking with my wife tonight about this. i can't explain what process i go through because there is none. i can be walking, turn my head and in a split second i see a composed, cropped image screaming at me. if you check my website, 99.9% of the images were taken like this. i just see stuff and take it. i have had no training or taken any courses or read any books on photography, which makes me feel completely inadequate when trying to critique others work here. i mean i read comments like Hertz, you, Tuna, Chase, et al leave and have generally no clue much what you're talking about...to a degree some, but for the most part im lost. now you ask how can i monitor this section and the photo gallery? :lmao: easy, im an administrator by profession; i just enforce the rules and make people feel all warm inside ;). but seriously, you asked the wrong guy what goes on in their head when shooting a pic. when im clicking the button, im more than likely thinking about my work, one of my children or on which corner is the nearest hot dog stand. sorry i bored you and yep, i still didn't quite explain that i don't think about photography at all. thats not true; i do think about it when i convert to b&w and create borders.

Not at all boring... and I have the answer :) >
JonMikal said:
i can be walking, turn my head and in a split second i see a composed, cropped image screaming at me.

JonMikal said:
i can't explain what process i go through because there is none.
I think there is a always a reason behind why ppl are attracted to particular subjects/areas of interest. Its just that we haven't realized it yet.

For me its fun to question myself and try seeking the real me. :)

JonMikal said:
if you check my website, 99.9% of the images were taken like this. i just see stuff and take it. i have had no training or taken any courses or read any books on photography, which makes me feel completely inadequate when trying to critique others work here. i mean i read comments like Hertz, you, Tuna, Chase, et al leave and have generally no clue much what you're talking about...to a degree some, but for the most part im lost.
First of all, please don't put me in the pro category :). I have miles to go.

I too have come accross that inadequacy; which would lead to another important question that I have been thinking about these days. I shall pose it in the Discussion forum when I get a breather.

BTW, I'm an in-camera cropper myself. Personal preference. I don't think there is nothing good or bad about it. At certain times I'm forced to crop in PS due to the cosmetic issues that I am looking for.

I think you are a great 3 dimensional thinker, who can convert to 2 dimensional in your mind and take that 2 dimensional thought with you in your camera. I think your skill is a natural one, like anyone whom is exceptional at any task. I totally know what you are saying here, since I am of the same background.. I read a book when I was 20 that explained the shutter speed vs. aperture, and hyperfocal distance., that is all of my training., until I came to TPF, and now I am enduring a huge learning curve.

As for your shot Jon.. the texture behind the bench annoys the crap out of me..

hehehe, love your work though!

mountainlander said:
Sit one of your street musicans on that bench and you'd have a remarkable image.

exactly! well I was thinking about an old man, poor and dirty...

Most reactions

Back