BEST amature DSLR for under $1000?

i did tried them out. And for some unknown reasons i want the D90, but its feels a bit to bulky in my hands, and the AF button is kinda high and hard to reach, though I liked that the function scroll wheel is on the left side which is easier to reach. On the other hand, Xsi is much smaller and a bit liter, and the price is much better for it, even with 2sets of lenses. But then again, Nikon has all of those awesome features...

I'm pretty sure I've seen some nice pics taken with the Canon Xsi kit. You should search on that for a while, see if you like what it can do in the proper hands.

I'm not a dSLR user, but I have seen images from nearly all the cameras posted here as well as from friends elsewhere.

I have seen absolute stunning images from the D40 and EOS 350 (that's the XTi, right?) I've also seen some atrocious images from higher end cameras. It works the other way as well.

I would say it all comes down to what it feels like and what features it has. The camera body has nothing to do with the quality of the shot unless a particular feature is needed.

just paid $1035 for a new in the box canon 50d with efs is 17-85 lens , good deal or no ?

was going to go with the xsi but with tax it was almost $800 so for $200 more i got a whole lot more camera

k, so i went to the store today, and was ready o buy D90 or Rebel, buy they were out of 90, but had canon. The guy who was selling though recommended Sony Alpha A350, over Rebel because it has in body image stabilization, better live view, better colors and white balance, but he did prefer D90 over both...so should I go with sony over canon if I dont get the nikon?

and yes, yes I know after all of the research i've learned that its all about the lenses if anything and not the body, but still its good to know that you got best possible product after all...

so after all the intense research i think im gonna go with D90 18-105 lens kit...

i did tried them out. And for some unknown reasons i want the D90, but its feels a bit to bulky in my hands, and the AF button is kinda high and hard to reach, though I liked that the function scroll wheel is on the left side which is easier to reach. On the other hand, Xsi is much smaller and a bit liter, and the price is much better for it, even with 2sets of lenses. But then again, Nikon has all of those awesome features...

D90 is a completely different class of camera than the Xsi. The high ISO performance (for your low light w/ no flash shooting) is very good on the D90 and is hard to beat in it's price range. Sounds to me that based on all your needs the D90 is the way to go.

Also, the D90 is so easy to change settings on the fly. Changing ISO, white balance, quality, focus point, etc..... take about 2 seconds (literally) with the D80/D90. This is a huge selling point in my opinion.

so i finally did it! got D90(w/18-105), BUT...now that i have it, it kinda feels heavy, especially the lens. one of the reasons i picked it over XSi was that it had better grip, and better abilities. and now im not sure what to do... should i return it and get a body with light 18-55 lens, or just get a canon, that is smaller but with less functions...?

The D90 really isn't heavy at all. Try holding a Canon 40D and you'll see what I mean.

I think you will be happy with the 18-105. It's a nice midrange with a reasonable long end. The autofocus is also much nicer than the 18-55.

The D90 also has nice semi-dedicated controls for ISO/WB/QUAL.

Don't worry about it being heavy, you'll get used to it. I have tiny hands and I love heavier cameras, which was one of the reasons I bought the D70S and sold my D40.

The D90 is an awesome camera, much better than the XSI or the Sony Alpha. The 18-105 is also a good lens, but if you're going to sell it I recommend saving up for a Sigma 18-50 F2.8. It has near professional quality at only $100-200 more than the 18-105. Be thankful, its a great camera to begin with and a great camera to grow into. Unless you were willing to buy a D200 or D300, I couldn't recommend a better camera.

Last edited:
so i finally did it! got D90(w/18-105), BUT...now that i have it, it kinda feels heavy, especially the lens...?

The D90 really isn't heavy at all. Try holding a Canon 40D and you'll see what I mean.

Nahh...... try a D300, gripped w/ 8x AA batteries, 70-200mm f/2.8 & a SB-800 on top..... Now that's a knife! :lol:

Today, I carried my EOS 40D with 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens and 580EX II flash mounted all around the auto auction. The flash adds a lot of weight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back