Status
Not open for further replies.

CorrieMichael

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C always welcome
1. $IMG_1211washdpilogo.jpg2.$IMG_1258washdpilogo.jpg3.$IMG_1321washdpilogo.jpg4.$IMG_1378washdpilogo.jpg5.$IMG_1426washdpilogo.jpg6.$IMG_1465washdpilogo.jpg

Last edited:
The poses in this all look really awkward and uncomfortable. The baby looks too big for the props and so the neck is bent at a weird angle - especially in numer 3.. The body is twisted in the first one.

Last edited:
You are a professional, I am not. However, I am a physician, and I would think very very hard about how you pose infants in the future. The positioning of the head and neck on most of these is dangerous at best. Beautiful images but I would be very deliberate in the future to try to maintain the airway and spinal column in as neutral a position as possible. My 2 cents.

Why all landscape? Some of those seem like they want to be portrait.

The quality of your images and lighting seem very nice.

I'm not a pro baby photog either, but I agree with some of the previous comments. I also reeeeeeeeeeeeally don't like the whole cutesy baby image thing that people do these days... all the props and stuff. So, I'm biased.

Man that baby looks uncomfortable. Try going for a more delicate look and study on more baby poses. Try pinterest!

Thanks so much for all of your awesome professional input. ha! I have come a very long way from my start in newborn photography. This baby is comfortable as when I pose I let them guide me when posing. Some of these images are composite shots. If I have said it once I have said it a thousand times. I took a professional baby posing workshop with a leading newborn photographer. I have done my research. All of these poses are natural I can assure you as this baby is ONLY 5 days old and still very squishy and fresh out of the womb. Again, if baby doesn't want to cooperate in any pose they don't and not every baby will go naturally into every pose. That is why you let them guide you again as I have said before. I can assure you I won't post here again. I will post where there is more appreciation for newborn photography!

You are a professional, I am not. However, I am a physician, and I would think very very hard about how you pose infants in the future. The positioning of the head and neck on most of these is dangerous at best. Beautiful images but I would be very deliberate in the future to try to maintain the airway and spinal column in as neutral a position as possible. My 2 cents.

Thanks for all of your GREAT input!

Thanks so much for all of your awesome professional input. ha! I have come a very long way from my start in newborn photography. This baby is comfortable as when I pose I let them guide me when posing. Some of these images are composite shots. If I have said it once I have said it a thousand times. I took a professional baby posing workshop with a leading newborn photographer. I have done my research. All of these poses are natural I can assure you as this baby is ONLY 5 days old and still very squishy and fresh out of the womb. Again, if baby doesn't want to cooperate in any pose they don't and not every baby will go naturally into every pose. That is why you let them guide you again as I have said before. I can assure you I won't post here again. I will post where there is more appreciation for newborn photography!

I apologize if I offended you. Your pictures are beautiful. However, despite any professional posing classes you may have taken, I assure you I have trained far far far longer to keep humans alive. The two basket poses are extremely dangerous. They both exhibit a near obstructive airway position. Every single day I see how that type of head position can cause a drop in oxygenation within literally minutes. Neonates don't know how to control their heads and cannot control their own airway. A neonate left unattended in an improperly fit carseat will suffocate in minutes despite "leading" you to think they are comfortable. Again, you take wonderful pictures, just do them in a safer way. Then again, what the heck do I care what you do. It's your conscience when you let an infant lead you to a pose that causes them to desaturate and develop cerebral palsy and live in a wheelchair the rest of their life. Best of luck!

Man that baby looks uncomfortable. Try going for a more delicate look and study on more baby poses. Try pinterest!

I think that you should have a look on pinterest :) You would find a lot of these poses.....Also I don't recommend looking on pinterest without any knowledge of baby posing then trying to pose a baby like that. DEFINITELY......you need to know how to pose, I would never pose a baby without a professional showing your or mentoring you. You are dealing with very fragile little beings and you should know what you are doing!

I apologize if I offended you. Your pictures are beautiful. However, despite any professional posing classes you may have taken, I assure you I have trained far far far longer to keep humans alive. The two basket poses are extremely dangerous. They both exhibit a near obstructive airway position. Every single day I see how that type of head position can cause a drop in oxygenation within literally minutes. Neonates don't know how to control their heads and cannot control their own airway. A neonate left unattended in an improperly fit carseat will suffocate in minutes despite "leading" you to think they are comfortable. Again, you take wonderful pictures, just do them in a safer way. Then again, what the heck do I care what you do. It's your conscience when you let an infant lead you to a pose that causes them to desaturate and develop cerebral palsy and live in a wheelchair the rest of their life. Best of luck!

Absolutely you have not offended me at all! Best of luck to you too!

Im curious as to how many seminars the Doctor took on pediatric airway alignment.
I only have 16 hours of pediatric advanced life support, and 24 hours of CCT pediatric airway support as a Medic. (on top of my vent training)
Just from a pediatric airway standpoint, I would never let an infant patients head lay like #2 and #3.
Granted, MY training is just with Doctors, CCT medics and CCRN's....not photographers...so...your mileage may vary.
All you have to do is turn your own head and tuck your chin down and you can feel , albeit slightly, how the airflow is restricted.
an infants trachea is much softer than an adults,much smaller, and is much more easily restricted.
an infant is also much less resilient to drops in their Sa02 levels.
noone is saying you endangered the child, or that the child's air was cut off...only that the position the baby is in is not optimal.
from a photography critique standpoint, these photos are very good, and you should definitely be pleased with them.
but I digress...

you stated in your OP that C&C was always welcome, yet you did not respond to it very well.
just because people have a different opinion than you concerning your work, it does not constitute an attack on it.
I think this forum greatly appreciates all types of photography, newborns included, but if you respond poorly to anything but positive feedback and glowing reviews....you might discover a dislike for all critique forums.

Well not a doctor and never played one on tv, and sadly I'm banned from all holiday inns worldwide - it's kind of a long story.

However I say if you are going to put a baby in a bucket don't wuss out, do it right and dangle that sucker over a shark tank.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Im curious as to how many seminars the Doctor took on pediatric airway alignment.
I only have 16 hours of pediatric advanced life support, and 24 hours of CCT pediatric airway support as a Medic. (on top of my vent training)
Just from a pediatric airway standpoint, I would never let an infant patients head lay like #2 and #3.
Granted, MY training is just with Doctors, CCT medics and CCRN's....not photographers...so...your mileage may vary.
All you have to do is turn your own head and tuck your chin down and you can feel , albeit slightly, how the airflow is restricted.
an infants trachea is much softer than an adults,much smaller, and is much more easily restricted.
an infant is also much less resilient to drops in their Sa02 levels.
noone is saying you endangered the child, or that the child's air was cut off...only that the position the baby is in is not optimal.
from a photography critique standpoint, these photos are very good, and you should definitely be pleased with them.
but I digress...

you stated in your OP that C&C was always welcome, yet you did not respond to it very well.
just because people have a different opinion than you concerning your work, it does not constitute an attack on it.
I think this forum greatly appreciates all types of photography, newborns included, but if you respond poorly to anything but positive feedback and glowing reviews....you might discover a dislike for all critique forums.

Thanks so much for all your well thought out critique. I will definitely consider this greatly. I would love to be well received as well along with my opinions....it's a two way street. You will find that sometimes does work out pretty well. Again thanks for you time and effort into your critique! I really do appreciate it. I was just offering my side. Which obviously wasn't well received either.

Also I am not actually sure I have ever really had good feedback on here. The best I've gotten is "meh....not bad" lol Which I am fine with. If you look through my posts you will see I can take my fair share of critique....mean, nice and otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back