Best Camera for Auto - Reptile photography

mikoh4792

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a DSLR for my main camera, but I am looking for a camera to take quick snapshots sometimes. Which ones are good in full auto mode and in low light settings?

Depending on you budget, the Panasonic FZ1000 or FZ200 (this one is less good in low light).
If you want it smaller: Sony RX100 Mk II or Mk III.
Rudi

Another vte for the FZ1000 or Sony RX10

Thanks for the replies. My budget would be around $1000 give or take.

Then the Panasonic FZ1000 will be ideal, if you don't mind the size.
Rudi

Alright thanks. Would this camera(and the others mentioned here) be better at auto mode than a dslr like the nikon d5200?

Panasonic is known
for their good automats, while a dslr is not realy made for use in auto mode. With a dslr you would have to buy a macro lens for close ups, while the FZ1000 has everything build in.
Rudi

Alright thanks. Would this camera(and the others mentioned here) be better at auto mode than a dslr like the nikon d5200?
The D5200 with good glass will be better then the FZ1000 even in auto mode!
Comaring a bridge camera to a DSLR especially to the very capable D5200 is not a fair comparison.
Bridge cameras has a superzoom lenses which by nature are very flexible but the payment is in many other things.
These are 2 different animals all together and I wouldnt try to compare between them.
Bridge cameras are there for those who want to have lots of zoom and the comfort of a body that feels like a DSLR but having one lens that does it all and a rather smaller sensor means its not in the same league as the DSLR.
This doesnt mean the FZ1000 isnt a capable camera, it is, it has a bigger sensor then most other bridge cameras and has a good glass, just not as good as a DSLR with good glass.

I have a canon G16, its a little big for fitting in your pocket but it will fit in the pockets of most of my pants, it is a point and shoot, it does not have much as far as optical zoom goes i think it is only 5X but for a point and shoot it takes really good photos, even on auto mode. It seems to take good photos in low light from what i remember, I had to take photos in a pretty dark house with out a flash one days and it did quite well. only thing is I almost want to sell it now that I have a DSLR and get a smaller point and shoot that is better for fitting in your pocket, I think the video quality of the G16 could be better and that is one of the main things i like to use a point and shoot for. but as far as photos go if you do not need a bit zoom the IQ of photos is great for a point and shoot.

A DSLR is almost always going to take better pictures, but a DSLR will usually have a auto mode that seems to work quite well.

here are a few photos i took with that G16, well that is the only normal one that i know was definitely taken with the G16, i had taken some others but turned them into HDR so i wont post those. The lighting is not very good in this house, it is usually on the dark side in here unless you have all the lights on, not sure if i had the lights on or not when i took this. Ill post a link to a video i took with the camera too, its just kind of so so video quality but i feel it takes nice photos

If you want a camera that can be pocket-able that takes good photos it might be something to look into.

dan and helicopters origional.JPG

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back