BEST CANON LENS FOR ACTION SPORT PHOTOGRAPHY

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by Parko008, May 6, 2017.

1. Parko008

Parko008 TPF Noob!

wow thanks so much for all that, its alot of info lol so one last question should i go with the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II

or the 70-200mm f2.8 do u happen to know the new version of the f2.8 what would you go with if you were using it for what i need it for

thanks

2. Parko008

Parko008 TPF Noob!

wow thanks so much for all that, its alot of info lol so one last question should i go with the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM II

or the 70-200mm f2.8 do u happen to know the new version of the f2.8 what would you go with if you were using it for what i need it for

thanks

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For indoors or in low light (eg early morning or evening) the 70-200mm f2.8 would be my choice. You need the f2.8 aperture for the low light conditions to help you capture as much light as possible for a good exposure.

For outdoors in good light then the 100-400mm would give an edge in range and likely be a very solid choice; but in lower light you will find it will struggle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Parko008

Parko008 TPF Noob!

awesome thanks just what i needed to know

5. Parko008

Parko008 TPF Noob!

thanks so much i ended up buying that lens but i went today an tested it out and the photos look clear and great on the camera screen but when i put them on my laptop when you zoom they are distorted .... and i have my camera on sports action... how does it work is that me that is causing this?? cause there was no issues the light was fine i was close to athletes had free range today up close far back and yet i produced poor quality pics????

6. Parko008

Parko008 TPF Noob!

thanks so much i ended up buying that lens but i went today an tested it out and the photos look clear and great on the camera screen but when i put them on my laptop when you zoom they are distorted .... and i have my camera on sports action... how does it work is that me that is causing this?? cause there was no issues the light was fine i was close to athletes had free range today up close far back and yet i produced poor quality pics????

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It would help if you could post some photos to show, however at a guess I would say that your shutter speed likely wasn't fast enough. Sports mode is okish but it won't mind-read what kind of action is going on and only weights the camera to pick a faster shutter speed if possible.

For sports I would say that around 1/500sec is the slowest shutter speed you can go with, and even then you might get blurring on fast moving areas like feet and hands. Any faster and things get progressively better. So I'd be willing to say this could be the cause of the softness in the photos.

Another angle can be if the IS is enabled but not sped up to speed. Anti-shake systems have to run for a little to get used to the shake they are countering; normally a second or two and they are ready; but if you point ad shoot fast the IS might not get up to speed and thus causes blur. At sports you shouldn't need IS on a 200mm lens - even a 400mm should be sharp handheld (with proper posture) at 1/500sec (for most people of good fitness).

8. Parko008

Parko008 TPF Noob!

hello

thanks ill post a pic the ones that i took that when you zoom are blury are still ones thats what i dont understand have a look at this one looks clear but when you zoom its not

thanks

9. Parko008

Parko008 TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

10. Parko008

Parko008 TPF Noob!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21d6.jpg

11. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    for fast moving subjects like that, i would make sure your shutter speed is a minimum of 1/500th. faster if possible.
    i would shoot in manual with auto ISO, or shutter priority so you can pick your shutter speed depending on the action.
    this will let you drop the shutter speed a little on slower moving things so the camera can lower the ISO if the lighting isn't great.
    also, if your shutter speed is around 1/500th or faster i believe you should be turning image stabilization to OFF.
    it is my understanding of IS that if you use it with a fast shutter speed it can actually cause blurry images, or at least, contribute to the problem.

12. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

yes, shoot sports at least 1/2000 - manual - auto ISO (daytime)

[​IMG]Untitled by c w, on Flickr