Best Projector for Photography Club

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A lot of people in my club complain about the projector we use, I'm one of them. In the real world it seems difficult to ascertain what is the best unit to look at for an upgrade.

I think the one we use now is 1080HD but Im not certain as its just a white box with no branding that I can see or specs for that matter, all I know for sure is that its about 3 years old and cost about $900

Has there been improvements since.

4K projectors but they are expensive. Possibly a large 4K TV ?

I would think that being able to properly calibrate the projector is just as or more important than the model/specs of said projector.

A lot of people in my club complain about the projector we use, I'm one of them. In the real world it seems difficult to ascertain what is the best unit to look at for an upgrade.

I think the one we use now is 1080HD but Im not certain as its just a white box with no branding that I can see or specs for that matter, all I know for sure is that its about 3 years old and cost about $900

Has there been improvements since.
Go through JVC DLA-X500R or Viewsonic PJD7822HDL

Yep. Calibration.
I highly recommend the X-Rite i1Display Pro, which can calibrate a projector as well as computer displays, Apple iOS and Android mobile devices.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are projecting, vs using a large screen TV, you have the same issues with had with slide projectors way back when.
The quality of your projected image is affected by:
  • Any ambient light, which will reduce the contrast of the projected image.
  • Screen. Lenticular vs FLAT white vs a white wall vs ???? Each type of screen has it's pros and cons.
    • Lenticular is bright (more contrast), but has a narrow viewing angle (compared to a flat surface), and has image distortion from the beaded surface. Expensive for a large screen.
    • Flat white has a wider viewing angle but is not as bright, so lower contrast image. What to use, a white bed sheet may not be REALLY white.
    • White wall, leaves you open to all the issues of a wall; textured surface, not really WHITE, etc.
    • Rear projection. You need the linear space behind the screen for the projector and it's setback from the screen.

If you are projecting, vs using a large screen TV, you have the same issues with had with slide projectors way back when.
The quality of your projected image is affected by:
  • Any ambient light, which will reduce the contrast of the projected image.
  • Screen. Lenticular vs FLAT white vs a white wall vs ???? Each type of screen has it's pros and cons.
    • Lenticular is bright (more contrast), but has a narrow viewing angle (compared to a flat surface), and has image distortion from the beaded surface. Expensive for a large screen.
    • Flat white has a wider viewing angle but is not as bright, so lower contrast image. What to use, a white bed sheet may not be REALLY white.
    • White wall, leaves you open to all the issues of a wall; textured surface, not really WHITE, etc.
    • Rear projection. You need the linear space behind the screen for the projector and it's setback from the screen.

Despite my research, fact checking and price taking both my alternate options and other member complaints where ignored in favour of the continued hoarding of monies by my club.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back