Best rechargable AA's for flashes?

DaveAndHolly219

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sick of burning through standard AA batteries, so I'm looking to pick up some rechargeable AA's and a charger. Are Panasonic Eneloops still the gold standard?

Depends. How responsible are you? How often do you need them? Can you remember to get them from you bag and put them on the charger every time you use them?

Eneloops are convenient if you do not use them all that often and are smart enough to do a slow charge. To many people are in a hurry these days and don't want to slow charge their batteries.

If you are using them on a daily basis then you might want to look at Powerex AA 2700mAh. A higher capacity battery providing more pops per set.

Always slow-charging has helped my rechargable batteries last for a very long time. I bought a quick-charge system years ago, and it was harmful to the life of my rechargables. After a year or so, I went back to slow-charging.

Amazon sells a 4 pack of Eneloops with a 4 battery charger. Would that be a good charger to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use eneloops with their included chargers with no issues.

If that's not good enough then you should be looking at external battery packs, not rechargeable AAs.

If that's not good enough then you should be looking at external battery packs, not rechargeable AAs.
The problem with external battery packs is two fold. Most of the OEM's use 8 rechargeable AA batteries and are moderately expensive. The ones that don't rely on rechargeable AA batteries are just plain expensive.

In addition you still need batteries in the flash to use a battery pack. The battery pack supplies the power to recharge the capacitor, the internal batteries provide power for the electronic operations of the unit itself.

Last edited:
I and many people I know use Powerex. Recently I got Eneloop from Costco for 20 bucks on sale with charger. Both are good.

The problem with external battery packs is two fold. Most of the OEM's use 8 rechargeable AA batteries and are moderately expensive. The ones that don't rely on rechargeable AA batteries are just plain expensive.

In addition you still need batteries in the flash to use a battery pack. The battery pack supplies the power to recharge the capacitor, the internal batteries provide power for the electronic operations of the unit itself.

Learn something new every day.. is this all flash units? Or just a certain brand?

I use yongnuo flashes, and love them. I've been thinking about buying their lithium ion external battery packs for shooting basketball games.

Most reactions

Back