Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ever since the demise of my beloved PalmPilot :)() I've been using a combination of a regular old flip-style cellular 'phone and iPod Touch for communication and information. From a communication point, the 'phone is fine. I don't use text-messaging, and I make very few calls, BUT having to use two devices is starting to become annoying. That makes this even more so (for me) is that iOS does not permit applications to run in the background. This means in order to get reminders, prompts, etc, my 'Touch needs to have network connectivity. Since I'm (more often that not) out of reach of WiFi, and often in areas with little or no cellular service, this is less than ideal.

So... what I want is a device into which I can program appointments and see/hear on-screen reminders even with absolutely no network connectivity at all. I would like something that allows good web access, and easy data entry. I don't need social networking or anything like that...

I'm not really looking for specific model recommendations, just suggestions as to what general direction would be best to proceed for a good business tool.

I would think an ipad or equivilant pad from another vendor would suite you. It does everything you said you want. you could also text from it and maybe even make calls with the right app. But size may be an issue i guess.

On a side note, if you have kids, and have netflix, the ipad is o-so-beautifull!

So the iPad doesn't require network connectivity for it's push notifications? It is a bit large, but if it or the iPhone don't have that limitation, than I could probably live with it.

So the iPad doesn't require network connectivity for it's push notifications? It is a bit large, but if it or the iPhone don't have that limitation, than I could probably live with it.

I'm not sure about push notifications. But it will run programs in the background.

I still have my good old blackberry 8330 and i do evertyhing with it. what do you need business wise? its a tank, no fancy breakable screen, its connected to a business BES server, i can read my email, text and place calls.

I still have my good old blackberry 8330 and i do evertyhing with it. what do you need business wise? its a tank, no fancy breakable screen, its connected to a business BES server, i can read my email, text and place calls.
All that I need aside from that is the ability to get my appointment/calendar reminders when there is absolutely no network connectivity. Being able to surf the web a bit is nice, but not essential.

I am actually loving my windows 7 phone. Before this, I hated e-mail on the phone. This integrates with office so seamlessly, it is actually a pleasure to use.

I would say to go Iphone, there are tonnes of apps available to help with business,

I'm in love with my HTC Thunderbolt it does everything, and the screen is sharper than an iphone and bigger "better for showing photos" plus the andriod market is HUGE! tons of apps

No one has answered his main question. Is there a smartphone that can recieve "push notifications" content/reminders without internet activity or wifi.

it depends what sort of push notifications hes after. is it reminders about events/meeting? then yes, you can set the iphone to remind you with an alarm and message, if its notifications about facebook/email then no.. it would be impossible to recive these notifications without internet activity

I'm in love with my HTC Thunderbolt it does everything, and the screen is sharper than an iphone and bigger "better for showing photos" plus the andriod market is HUGE! tons of apps

I'm not trying to start an iPhone vs Android debate here but you are gravely wrong saying the Thunderbolt's display is better than the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4's display is clearly "sharper" and better for viewing pictures even if it is a little smaller... Look at the difference in pixels here...

Thunderbolt = 4.3" screen with only 480 x 800 pixels.

iPhone 4 = 3.5" screen with 640 × 960 pixels.

When it comes to a business phone I'd probably lean towards something with a physical keyboard like The Droid from Verizon. It just makes typing longer emails and stuff easier in my opinion. I currently use an iPhone 4 for my personal phone and a Droid 1 for my business needs. My iPhone 4 is fun/easy/fast while my Droid I've dropped it like a hundred times without it breaking, and it's definitely better at file management. Seems to fit the definition of a good work phone in my opinion.

I heart my iPhone 4, it does everything I need and more. This is really going to end up being a matter of personal preference for you. If you're looking to purchase something without a contract, price is going to play a big role, if you're looking to upgrade your PHONE, then go to the retailer of your choice and play with the phones, see what feels more intuitive for you. It's hard to go wrong with something as thoroughly embraced as the iPhone though ;). If you go that route, do yourself a favor and get the latest one, it's worth the $.

I had a blackberry and switched about a year ago to a iPhone and I love it. It has everything I need and more for my business. There is an app for just about everything.

Most reactions

Back