Best super zoom camera for long distance recording?

hejsansvejs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!

So a few days ago I found a video of someone recording and zooming in with great quality from half way around the world and realized I need of of those cameras.

I only knew about canon sx60 and nikon p900 until an hour ago when I found out there's a few more, like the Panasonic LUMIX FZ82 which is better priced.

I will be buying a used one in the $300 (or less) range and want the one best at recording at a long distance, say 100-500 meters.

Help me choose!

Thanks

Whichever one you get be sure you also get a very stable tripod.
Add another $150 to $300 to your budget for the tripod.
A $30 - $75 el cheapo won't cut it.

.........I will be buying a used one in the $300 (or less) range and want the one best at recording at a long distance, say 100-500 meters...........

Sadly, those are mutually exclusive parameters.

ANY camera can record up to 500 meters. But for $300, you're going to fall far short of 'the best'. This is like saying you want a sports car than can top out at 200 MHP, go 0-60 in 4 seconds, and have a budget of $5000.

.........I will be buying a used one in the $300 (or less) range and want the one best at recording at a long distance, say 100-500 meters...........

ANY camera can record up to 500 meters. But for $300, you're going to fall far short of 'the best'. This is like saying you want a sports car than can top out at 200 MHP, go 0-60 in 4 seconds, and have a budget of $5000.

Obviously it is like that with all things. But to be fair it's not really a good answer since both the sx60 and lumix FZ82 can be had for that price and both seem good enough. A better comparison might be wanting to have a car for $200k but only having 175.

So, which one should I choose around 300 bucks?

The best one will be the one with the highest number in the optical zoom range. Don't be fooled by digital zoom. It isn't magnification. It is cropping. Don't forget the tripod.

Obviously it is like that with all things. But to be fair it's not really a good answer since both the sx60 and lumix FZ82 can be had for that price and both seem good enough. A better comparison might be wanting to have a car for $200k but only having 175.

Actually the answer is spot on. Any camera will take a photo of something 100-500 meters away. I have even taken photos of a subject 238,900 miles away. The issue comes down to Image Quality. A lot of things goes into image quality other than zoom.

The best one will be the one with the highest number in the optical zoom range. Don't be fooled by digital zoom. It isn't magnification. It is cropping. Don't forget the tripod.
Thanks! I know the Nikon 900 have 83x zoom and the sx60 65(?) but I saw a post on this forum that said the sx60 was better at recording. Here's the quote:
I have owned both cameras, though not at the same time. There is no doubt in my mind that for stills, at full zoom, the Nikon blows the Canon out of the water. No contest. Video is a whole different matter. If the Canon shoots at a higher frame rate, you will get "smoother" results. If they shoot at the same frame rate, then the results should be similar.

Actually the answer is spot on. Any camera will take a photo of something 100-500 meters away. I have even taken photos of a subject 238,900 miles away. The issue comes down to Image Quality. A lot of things goes into image quality other than zoom.

Yes, a camera will take a photo of something far away with differing quality. Of course it will. Which is why I am here asking WHICH ONE is best at doing so for the price I am willing to pay. You clearly do not know but perhaps someone here do, which is why I made this thread.

Best?
Sony RX10 III
or
Lumix FZ2500

I've taken a good quality photo of an object 149.6 million km away! with my phone camera

Yes, a camera will take a photo of something far away with differing quality. Of course it will. Which is why I am here asking WHICH ONE is best at doing so for the price I am willing to pay. You clearly do not know but perhaps someone here do, which is why I made this thread.

Framing your query correctly from the git-go would go a long way as well. Instead of stating you want to buy 'the best' but only have a $300 budget, it would have been far better to state, "Which $300 lens is better?"

Actually the answer is spot on. Any camera will take a photo of something 100-500 meters away. I have even taken photos of a subject 238,900 miles away. The issue comes down to Image Quality. A lot of things goes into image quality other than zoom.[/QUOTE]

Framing your query correctly from the git-go would go a long way as well. Instead of stating you want to buy 'the best' but only have a $300 budget, it would have been far better to state, "Which $300 lens is better?"

If someone say "I want the best offroad car for $30k, do you say "the best offroad car cost $100k so there's no point responding to your dumb question" or "X is the best offroad car for $30k"?
Do you, and some others, seriously don't understand how stupid your posts are? I never said I wanted the best camera there is, I said I want the best camera I can get for this amount of money.

Most reactions

Back