Best tripod for my needs

K.Charalampidis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I'm trying to select a tripod for my Canon EOS 750 D carrying an EF-S 60mm Macro lens.

The shooting always takes place in a studio,so no need for compact or light tripod.Actually heavier is better for me!

I shoot mineral specimens,which means close up photography in a setup built in my room.When I shoot,I mostly move my lights than my camera,so no need for complex levers.Ball head is what I need. I would also need smooth movement of the camera when any part is loose.

Also,no need for great maximum length of the tripod.

I need best stability,best vibrations damping coming from the camera operations (shutter/mirror...),ball head and a maximum cost of 200 Euros (actually 150 - 160 euros is what I was thinking).

I realize that the characteristics I ask for can be met mostly by more expensive models,but I want your valuable help to chose the best for my budget.

Please suggest a specific tripod.Your help is highly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!
-Kostas.

I would look for a used Manfroto tripod.
I have a somewhat heavy Bogen/Manfoto that I bought for $50 USD, used.

I prefer a 3-way pan head, for the way I shoot.
I have a Kaiser ball head, but only use it when I want to configure a tripod as light as possible, as it is lighter than my lightest pan head.

Honestly you need more than a tripod.

1) You need a tripod - if weight isn't an issue then head over to ebay and pick up a good secondhand set of legs. Manfrotto is a good brand name to go for. Note that tripods tend to devalue fast and heavier ones devalue faster (unless they are top of the line of course). So you can likely pick up a good sturdy tripod for not too much; just be sure to avoid the dirt cheap aluminium ones.

2) Remember even if your tripod is stable consider the floor. Many a photographer has had a perfect setup spoiled by floorboards; carpets or other slightly moving surfaces causing issues with macro work. A nice solid floor that doesn't move as you move around is very helpful.

3) Tripod head wise here is where you might want to spend some money. A geared head is perfect for this kind of work as it gives you 3 axis of motion with fine control in each one; you turn a knob and the axis moves in very small distances - ideal for fine correction on close up and macro work. Ball heads are great, but for fine adjustments they are not ideally suited as releasing the tension does so on the ball which means you can't adjust each axis on its own.
The Manfrotto Junior Geared Head is one of the most recommended and best choices; don't let the junior part fool you its a professional grade attachment. This might wind up being the most expensive part you pay out for but it is well worth it for this kind of photography.

4) Focusing rails. Moving a camera back and forth on a tripod is hard when you want to do it in tiny steps; and if you've just set your lights up right the last thing you want to move is your subject. A focusing rail allows you to move the camera back and forth (and with two rails also side to side) to achieve focus whilst keeping your focusing wheel untouched (thus keeping your magnification the same).
I'd recommend the simple "4 way focusing rail" kit that you can get from Flashpoint or any one of a dozen no-nam-brands (its basically the same kit just with different brands stuck on it). Whilst being affordable they are good and easy to use rails. Ebay often has many of them up for sale. (search for Flashpoint focusing rails to get an idea of what they look like)

With good legs; a geared tripod head and focusing rails you'll have an ideal and painless setup that allows you to easily control the camera and move it around for close up work.

An _excellent_ post above, from Overread!

Hello all!

Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies!

Indeed, Overread's reply was great!I'm able to say so,since I have some credit in macro photography,although it is not my main field, so I won't need this head and rails.
The head will actually make my work more difficult,since I have to hold my eye to the glass with my style of shooting,too many levers and valves would be obstacles.

Any more opinions and advice would be very appreciated and again,I can't thank you enough for your help!

Most reactions

Back