Bicycle C&C

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Timo, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Timo

Timo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Alright. I'm looking for some comments on this picture. Feel free to be as brutal as necessary. Honesty is more important than saved feelings. :)

What I think I could have done better was to have underexposed it a little and used a fill flash to get a more light on the face while keeping the arm from blowing out.

[​IMG]

2. Aayria

Aayria TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the idea, and the boy's expression:) I would agree though- that it looks overexposed to my eye. I don't know if a flash would improve- to me flash can be harsh, especially when trying to capture pictures of children. I like to go as natural as possible, and focus on the eyes.

I'd say (and take my opinion with a grain of salt, I'm still new to this!) that maybe if you could fill in the light on his face with a reflector (even just a piece of white poster board) increase the shutter speed a bit so it's less exposed, make your aperture as wide as possible so we see more blurred background, drawing the eye to the child's face... you might get a better result.

Again all in all, I like the photo and think it was a great attempt. I just wish you could see the child's eyes a bit more clearly, they seem kind of lost in shadow compared to the glaring background.

3. iAstonish

iAstonish TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Would be nice to see more of the bike in frame.

4. Timo

Timo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here is a better edit from the original:

[​IMG]

5. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're right, expose for the background and use fill. The edited second shot looks better, maybe boost the contrast just a hint, some was lost when lightening the shadows.

- Expose for the background under by one stop.
    - Then use fill flash on the subject using +/- flash compensation. If you have a speedlight use "balanced" type of mode, on Nikon speedlight it's TTL-BL
    - Used flash compensation to adjust the fill.

Example, no flash compensation was needed for this shot.
    1/640 @ f/5.6, ISO 250, -1.00 EV
    [​IMG]